Changing Vanity light to LED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Vanity light to LED

i would love to help but can't bring myself to help a raider fan. J/K im in frisco to but a niner fan. love my ex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone find anything out on this, would love to change out the bulbs in my wifes ex, but also not seeing a way in the puddles lamps or in the 2nd or 3rd row.

Any insight guys?

i would love to help but can't bring myself to help a raider fan. J/K im in frisco to but a niner fan. love my ex

rofl wrong raiders :)
it is actually my Texas Tech Red Raiders, thats why I have 2 Rs there :)

anyone find anything out on this, would love to change out the bulbs in my wifes ex, but also not seeing a way in the puddles lamps or in the 2nd or 3rd row.

Any insight guys?

I have to say puddle light is a no go, I took it out another time and I also watched the diagram from parts web site, I don't think Ford design that part where you can replace the bulb.

However I am going to buy a spare and see if I can cook it to melt the glue. I found one for about $40, just don't have time to do that right now. If I got it right I might have a side business :D

However I am going to buy a spare and see if I can cook it to melt the glue. I found one for about $40, just don't have time to do that right now. If I got it right I might have a side business :D

Mind sharing your source, or the part#? I'm no stranger to cooking and opening light housings so if I had a spare, I'd definitely work on figuring out the best route to take.

Mind sharing your source, or the part#? I'm no stranger to cooking and opening light housings so if I had a spare, I'd definitely work on figuring out the best route to take.

I don't remember, but it is like fordparts.com or something like that. Just go to those parts site, should be under exterior, mirror.

Found it
Part Number: 13B374A - Door Mirror Puddle Lamp $35.63

RenderIllustration.ashx

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2011&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

Last night I changed the license plate (and glove box) bulbs to LED. It completely changes the look of the rear at night--makes it look more high end. It goes great with the LED tails.

If you decide to cook it, please let me know what you find?

Awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

Last night I changed the license plate (and glove box) bulbs to LED. It completely changes the look of the rear at night--makes it look more high end. It goes great with the LED tails.

By glove box you mean map lights, right? My XLT doesn't have a light in the glovebox from what I can tell.

By glove box you mean map lights, right? My XLT doesn't have a light in the glovebox from what I can tell.

lol no I meant the glove box. It's on the left side. If my video card wasn't dead I'd upload some photos (I'm on my phone now).

lol no I meant the glove box. It's on the left side. If my video card wasn't dead I'd upload some photos (I'm on my phone now).

lol I think you need to take the next step and do backup LEDs :) just need to cut 2 wires. All of us no problem cutting wires for stereos and speakers, but when I mention cutting wire for backup light everyone freaks about voiding warranty :D

just had an idea, why didn't I think of this earlier? Went back to the fordparts.com and pulled the diagram for interior light

this is with sunroof, 2 2nd row lights (part 13A701), 3nd row (part 13776) is the same with or without sunroof.

RenderIllustration.ashx

"LOOKS" like clips are front and back of the control module. Might try to peel that open tonight or this weekends.

what concerns me is you can clearly see the bulb parts for 2nd row with sunroof, but you can't see the bulb part for the 2nd row without sunroof and 3 row both version.

I don't have sunroof so this is my diagram

RenderIllustration.ashx

lol I think you need to take the next step and do backup LEDs :) just need to cut 2 wires. All of us no problem cutting wires for stereos and speakers, but when I mention cutting wire for backup light everyone freaks about voiding warranty :D
haha I'll see your LEDs and raise you HIDs :D

LED reverse bulbs are bright when looking directly at them but they don't have much throw. So if you just want people to know you're backing up, they're great. If you want them to illuminate your path, you'll be disappointed.

Back when my Grand Cherokee Overland was still basically new, I put on a 4" lift and did some lighting mods. I'm not afraid of warranty issues because the dealer can only deny a warranty claim if your modification caused the failure. If something completely unrelated to your modification fails and the dealer tries to weasel out of warranty work, mention the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and they'll change their tune real quick.

I put HIDs in the reverse lights of my Grand Cherokee and they're amazing. I've left them on for several minutes and haven't had any problems. However, because the reverse light housing in the Explorer is much smaller, I need to do some heat tests to see if there's much of a difference between the temperature of the stock bulbs and HID bulbs.

To put the HIDs on my Grand Cherokee I cut off the stock reverse bulb connector and soldered on a 9005 connector so that it could plug right into the ballast.
connector.jpg

I had to use a slim digital ballast to fit behind the tail light:
ballast.jpg

To attach the HID bulb, I epoxied 9005 bulb holders to the tail light that I got from a set of BMW headlights, which I had already cannibalized for the HID projectors.
9005adapter_.jpg

bulbcloseup.jpg

The results:
(no camera trickery was used. The same settings were used for both shots)
reverselightcompare.jpg

Nice work, JanChristian! It's been too long since I've taken cars apart, so this upgrade might be too advanced for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is where I bought my HID conversion kit from for my G

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I see that they have H16 option for the EX reverse light. don't know how all the other would fit though, plus the heat issue. But yea I am very interested to know if you can pull it off.

:)

wow really cool pics! have you been able to test this on your X? i really want to do this to my wifes.

thanks for the info on replacing the map lights, has anyone figured out how to replace the rest of the dome lights yet?

Back