Lift Kit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Kit

The difference between 31" and 32" is hardly going to matter based on gearing. 33" may be too much for 3.73 but as someone happily running 35s on 4.10 gears, I think the difference is extremely exaggerated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'm biased based off what everyone else has said.
But 32"s are gonna be harder to fit than 31"s and are less popular, and I've heard that some companies are stopping/slowing production on them, so if you blow one it'll be harder to replace. And if you're gonna do enough lift to fit 32"s, you might as well do a little more to fit 33"s I'd say. If you have the gears... Idk. 33"s would be the very limit with 3.73 in my opinion, but realize you'll lose some acceleration and mpg in the city. I'm wanting at least 4.10s for when I plan on getting 33"s. 4.56 would be cool, but not in my budget...
Also, you'll have to watch your speedo and see how off it'll end up being.

EDIT; Just remembered, since you said not much offroading, you'll probably be fine with 3.73.

2000 Mercury Mountineer Pretty sure its AWD
It is a 5.0 V8 stock

You'll notice power difference, but you should still be fine then with 33"s. But since it's AWD, you won't be able to do as tall of a TT, so you'd need more than just that in the front. If you do the TT too high it'll put your CV joints at too much of an angle.

So if i do 31' will i need to do more then shackles and TT?

On the guide for under $300 thing
"Now that you have roughly 2" of lift you can fit a 31x10.5 tire without any rubbing or a 32" tire with some trimming."

So sounds like i will be able to use a 31' if i just do shackles and a TT

Yes. 31"s with probably no trimming at all. On the TT just make sure not to go too high. Put the shackles on, then do the TT to match, and hopefully they'll end up settling to the same height so that your truck will be somewhat level. It might sag some in the back still. If so you can do an AAL to fix that.

I have a 99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0. I had the front alignment checked because I had outside edge tire cupping. I was told my truck had negative camber. Will the torsion twist correct this and bring my truck toward positive camber?

Back