Liftgate swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate swap

Reaction score
City, State
Fairmount, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
I noticed the newer style liftgate in a parking lot today- it had the license plate area on the gate itself (in the center) instead of the bumper like on my 91.

So...

Can the newer style be installed on the earlier body without too much work? In other words, is it a bolt on? I expect some differences in wiring, but I can handle that.

What are the years I should look for to have the "plate on the gate"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doubt it...

Totally different body components... I can't say with any authority, but my gut feeling is that I highly doubt it... Totally different body lines, not to mention the seal areas, jamb shape, etc... Plus, it would look totally out of place! Just my .02.

-Joe-

I dont remember who, but someone did.
Had to change the tail lights also but it was a bolt on....

The rear quarter panels are the same, someone retrofitted a 95-97 model with a 98+ liftgate. It would be very difficult for you because you have a 91, the tailights are rectangular in stead of curved so the 95-97 or 98+ wont fit.

Any idea how to find the thread, pictures, or whatever pertaining to that swap? I tried entering some search terms and came up empty.

I'm willing to consider some modifications just to see if I can do it. Heck, I gotta practice up, I've already got "project topless" on the drawing board- and thats going to be some major rework!

Back