• Register Today It's free!

Lifting 2000 Mercury Mountaineer

Brandon Harwell

Reaction score
City, State
Gastonia, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello I am new and am looking for some guidance on how to lift my 2000 mercury mountaineer. I am only looking to lift it around 2-3 inches or whatever it takes to fit 31/32 inch tires. I have spent 3 days and finally have come to the conclusion that they must not make lifts for it. Any suggestions? I know shackle lift and torsion twist is an option, however, is it safe to do that? I'm open to anything and everything..... with that being said, fire away!! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 31's on my factory mounty. No rub at all. My previous mounty, same exact model, needed the TT, and shackles.(WAR153). A torsion twist and shackles won't do any undo harm to healthy steering and suspension.

They do make drop bracket lifts( or did at one time) but are 4.5-5.5 inches and are fairly involved.

I run 31's on my factory mounty. No rub at all. My previous mounty, same exact model, needed the TT, and shackles.(WAR153). A torsion twist and shackles won't do any undo harm to healthy steering and suspension.

They do make drop bracket lifts( or did at one time) but are 4.5-5.5 inches and are fairly involved.

Thanks!! I've been banging my head trying to find out what I can do. Was getting the alignment correct hard?

I lifted 2 inches, and then dropped 1.5 under stock height. Didn't have any issue either time. When doing this take your reference from the lower control arms, and not the fenders.

On my 2000 Mountie I used new one ton Ranger springs in the back with the Warrior 's and re-indexed torsion keys up front.

Some will tell you that you don't need the re-indexed keys.

My Mountie ended up without the harshness that goes with just turning the bars all the way up.

You HAVE to use the longer shocks, I used the Rancho's made for the 1 1/2 -2" lift.

I have right at 2" of lift in the front and 3 1/2" in the back.

My Mountie rides as smooth silk and goes around curves very well.

Great point on the shocks, I used the Rancho 9000x's, but it's been so long it slipped my mind.

Best cheapest, and most cost effective option for 31's would definitely be the torsion twist and shackles you can use the $20 "cheap" auto store universal lift shackles over the warriors I have the cheap ones on my truck and have done a lot of 4 wheeling over the years Iv had them on there with no issues whatsoever. So for less than $100 you can get a two inch lift (you'll need an alignment after the torsion twist) and its simple to do there is plenty of info on here how to do it. Things to consider though would be the rancho rs5000 shocks designed for that style of lift (there about $45 a piece on rock auto) and some cam bolts (also cheap) to get your camber right because it's non adjustable from the factory. Do this before your alignment and tell the shop you installed them or they might skip it.I tell them I want close to 0 camber as they can get (it's going to probably come out slightly negative but that's ok it's specs for that anyway) otherwise your type tires will probably look like there leaning in and it'll wear the insides excessively. And if you change any suspension components use moog with the bigger tires and wheeling it you don't want cheap bushings and ball joints trust me it's better to spend a little more $ up front they last a lot longer.

Also a body lift isn't all that bad it's about $200 or so for the kit it's easier to install than a 4" suspension kit that will run you at least $1800 just in parts unless you buy the the front brackets and soa the rear you could do that for under $1000 and the body lift will fit 32's without trimming. check out the 2nd gen sticky at the top of the modified 2nd gen forum home page that includes all the info you need like lifts and how to do them and lift vs tire size etc...

But all in all yea start with the tt/shackles and go from there but warning modifying your vehicle can become addicting Iv been slowing modifying mine for about 11 years and I don't think I'll stop until I'm sas, locked and on 35's lol money is the only limit.

Back