Lifting a 96? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting a 96?

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4D
Hey guys, i used to be on this board a long time ago back when i had a 94, but i couldn't remember my username after like a year of not being on here. Anyway i bought a 96 XLT 2WD 4 door to keep the mileage off my F150 but its too freaking low! (ya my F150 has 7.5in of lift under it) Anyway i searched and i'm thinking about doing a spring over axle conversion. I've also read about the warrior shackles. What are the pros and cons of these. ALso what about lifting the front? I'm gonna crank the torsion bars up, and i was looking for a lift, meeeybe a spindle lift for the front and a body lift too. Can someone double check me on what i need?
So i need
3 Body lift
27.26 -->brackets 883-1 & 883-4
137.95 -->lift kit #853
----------

Lift
ProComp 3.0in front/1.5in rear -> 659
Does anyone know if the rear is just the addaleaf? Or maybe of another taller lift?

Torsion Bar Crank + warrior 2 inches or so?

I'm looking at 3in on the body, 3in suspension, and 2 for the tbars which is suspension for the total of 8 inches. Looking to put a 33/10.50/15 under there. What do you guys think?
Dazed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

261004.jpg

I'm trying to get about as high as that. Thats only a 3in lift on there.
Dazed

i would:

leave off the body lift

put 3" spindles + t bar crank for 5-6" of front suspension lift

do an soa, and an add a leaf for about 7" in the rear....

enough to clear 33s.... will look good... ownt need body lift at all....

May i ask why leave the body lift off? I want extra height :) lol

why would you want extra height? it does nothing for the eprformance, just makes it more likely to ropll due to a higher center of gravity...... body lifts are fine.... but you dont need 10" of total lift to clear 33" tires! why have it? the only reason to put on lifts is to lift the frame higher off the ground and allow room for bigger tires to lift the unsprung weight off the ground... all the body lift will allow is the tires to fit.........

I recommend you do the torsion twist and extended shackles. That should be all you need to fit 33x10.50's.

So i can get 33's with just the torsion bar cranked? Hmmm. I have a set of 35's that are sitting from my old truck, meeybe i'll try and cram those under with the BL. But if what you are saying is true, i guess the spindles and tbars cranked could give me that?
Dazed

Even with just a torsion twist and shackle and 3" body it will work. No need for the $500 spindles. You will need to trim the back of the front fenders. But that's to be expected with such a big tire.

Cool, thats why i like this place, everyone likes to do things inexpensively. Everywhere else i've been they're like ya you need the spindles. But if thats the case, looks like i'll have a cheaply lifted explorer with 35's and the money i saved from the spindles i'll put towards some 4:56's and a no slip.
Dazed

Be sure to spend the $10 on a good, thick seat cushion. Your butt will thank you!:D

um, why?

Twisting the tortion bars limits how much they "flex". The more you twist them, the rougher the ride gets. You can twist them 2"-2.5" without too much degrading of comfort. Anything more gets uncomfortable. I have ridden in a Ranger that was cranked up a lot, it rode like a brick!

The bars can be twisted up to give the lift and ability to fit bigger tires, but it comes with the price of riding like crap. This is one reason why others suggest going with lift spindles. With the use of spindles, the amount of TT can be limited and a comfortable ride can still be achieved.

Back