Light Bar Question! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Light Bar Question!

Hey i want to get a light bar for my 91 explorer no rain gutters. Im wondering if i can just drill into the stock bar at the top and attach them that way or do i have to buy a bar like the carr or smittybuilt? thanks. if anyone has any experience ding eithe rplease let me know. also where did you guys run the wires?where on the back hatch? thanks alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can drill into the stock one others have done it.

the most professional way is to drill and silicone up the hole. however it can be run all the way to the back or in the doors also

yea i think drilling definitly looks the best but im worried about messing up or just not doing a perfect job. i dont want any leakage. so you think its pretty simple to drill into the stock ones?

if your roof rack tubing is metal like mine than it will work

on my 92 i thinks its either really cheap metal or plastic, i bet i can still drill through the plastic though, i was just wondering if anyone had some pics of their install even if they got a seperate light bar

I just drilled through the plastic ends on mine.

Check the link in the signature, follow it through to the light bar. There's a few pictures there.

I bounce around through massive potholes all the time and haven't had any problems. Come to think of I still haven't painted the wires black either... :)

When it warms up I'm gonna try and find some thin teflon strips about 2" wide to protect the wires.

attachment.php

very cool i like those, do you have any trouble with the wires getting caught in the door though?

i don't think there should be any troubble just make sure you use protective covering around the wiring and a fuse incase it grounds out

On mine, the lights are fused and the wires work out good with the door. Since I put it up there I haven't seen any chaffing of the wires.

I'm still going to use something to protect them, plus make them blend in a little better.

The switches are AutoZone Leds- that way I know when they're on.

the lights are 6 inches in diameter and the switch kit I bought from autozone

Back