Lights behind Ebay Grille | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lights behind Ebay Grille

I was wondering if anyone had the Ebay billet grille, and put lights behind the grille. If you take a look at my home page, you will see that i have that grille, but im considering getting the lower bumper grille also to match, and then lowering my license plate, but also getting some piaa driving lights and put them behind the lower grille. Will the light output be greatly affected since the ebay grilles have more lines and cover more area?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had an Ebay grill and wondered the same thing. I didnt try it but IMO I think the grill bars are too close together for the lights to do much good.
I sold the grill cause I like the light better.

yea, anything infront of them will block it pretty badly. ive just got mesh/screen stuff infront of mine and it reduces their output so badly

do you guys think that i should do what aldive did, and keep my license plate where it is, and not install a lower bumper grille, and just put some driving lights like piaa 2100s next to the plate inside the opening?

or take the liscence plate off and still put lights there.
thats wut i did and i think it looks sharp!
the front plate looks ugly.

as far as legality- ive never had an issue.. but heard that some people who took the front plates off have been hassled.
If you leave the plate off. keep it somewhere in the vehicle.. and if an officer pulls you over.. tell him u had bumped into something and it had knocked it off and u hadnt had a chance to put it back on yet.. and then show him the plate.

well my plans were to either lower where the plate is on the front bumper, so basically covering my soon to be put on EE airdam, and then get another bumper grille for the bumper opening, so it woudl match. but i also want driving lights, and unlike the EE airdam for 95-98, mine doesnt have an opening for a set of lights. so i even considered cutting into the airdam, but thought that woudlnt look as nice. i think im just gonna keep my place where it is, possibly lower it an inch or so, cover up the holes in the bumper from the plate holder, and just ziptie the plate on. NY is pretty *****y about front plates, and i drive in NYC alot, dont want to get pulled over for that, my tints, etc. THen i plan on geting some piaa 2100xt drivign lights, and putting it to the left and right of the plate, in the bumper opening. Ill see how that looks. But eventually i plan on getting a trex grille for the bumper and grille. they have less lines, and i think are better quality than the ebay grill i have.

Heres what i have done-

OldMillFront.jpg

Maybe im unclear about what you plan on doing.
Why dont you put lights like where i have mine.. this will leave room for the plate in the stock location. Ive never been a big fan of the bumper valence grills. so i say leave the plate.. go with the lights like i have them arranged.

I too had the ebay billet grill for about a year and a few months.
I got bored with it.. and i felt the bars were just too close together.- i began to dislike the looks.
Im not really sure how long u have had yers.. but id maybe wait and see if you still like the ebay billet grill after some time.. you may get bored with it and wish u hadnt spent money on the valence grill.

At this point im starting to consider the speed grill - which is a 2 piece grill.. one clips on above the horizontal bar in the grill opening.. and one below the horizontal bar.. i think it would look real sharp.
Just some things to consider.

OH and btw- that mountie grill assembly you photoshopped on. it looks real sharp like that. hehe maybe u should go that route!

hey anab, i am def considering what you did with the fogs, except like you said, i am also considering the bumper grille also. which would cover up the openings , and not leave me any space to put the lights. I like the look of the ebay grille, which ive had since last sept. it sets my ex apart, but ive been leaning more and more towards a grille that has less lines, such as a trex grille. i also feel like there is less air flow going into the radiator because of the grille ( prob just my imagination )

The mounty grill is a possibility, except itz pretty expensive. and they dont make a mounty aftermarket front grill, and i dont really like their stock grille. vertical bars arent my taste. i do like the headlights. im really considering getting HIDs for my headlights ( the dual beam CATZ) so if i go that route, i wont need driving lights.

I have the ebay grille on my 00 sport. I like the look of it, at least on my ex. I recently ordered the bumper grille insert from the same guy on ebay. It is exactly the same, just fit for the bumper. Now the plate is a little low so it blocks the top of the bumper part where the billet grille would go. I wanted to get a nice chrome license plate holder in the front to match my back anyway. If you keep the stock plate holder it would only have to be moved a little bit. You can see at least 1/2-3/4 of the bumper grille insert if you left the plate in it's position now. My plans are to move the plate holder or get a different one off another car. Our plate holder doesn't really allow any other license frames to bolt onto it for a nice look. I mean come on, who here has see an ex w/ double billet grilles! I'm sure someone has but i haven't seen it ever. Once i get it done i will def post pics. I don't have time to get to do it now, but probably over the next month or so it'll get done. Let me now your ideas on the holder. I don't think i want to leave it off. I think i'm going to buy one from another car?

well im going to get everything grey on my truck painted black to match the truck, so one thing i was considering, was getting the holes for the plate to be sealed up, and painted over smooth, then just ziptie the license plate to the 2 vertical lines in the bumper opening.

or possibly making two new holes lower, so it would hang low, but i have an EE airdam to put on soon, so it would cover a bit of that up. Not sure exactly..i have a final tom, so im studying for that, but once i get home next week and i visit the shop, ill see what my options are.

Yea i was going to paint mine all black to to match but my dad is like DON'T! I'm stuck w/ grey for now until he gives me the truck. I was going to buy the airdam also but i don't want to paint it grey. If i ever get my whole trim in black then i'll buy the airdam. I think i'm gonna just take off the holder and move it up just a little then fill in the hole because i want to put in the bumper grille.

well hopefully i can get everything painted in the next couple weeks. i am seriously considering getting all the chrome takin off and getting it all black. but i think im gonna leave the chrome, that way if i get 20s down the road in chrome, it will nicely accent everything.

son, where in ny are you?

I live on Long Island in Woodbury.

nice.. im in jericho.. least i will be tom.. getting out of buffalo for the summer and going back home..

Very kewl. We should meet up sometime.

def.. keep in touch

Back