• Register Today It's free!

Limited power driver seat

Ryno22980

Reaction score
City, State
West Bend, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
My '94 Explorer Limited's power driver seat quit working a few years back. I was too lazy to try to figure it out, but now I am going to sell it and need it to work.

Since my seat was stuck in the farthest back position due to my height, I left the track bolted to the floor and just removed the seat itself. While troubleshooting the circuit I found everything to check out good till just past the switch. The wire harness is plugged into some black circuit box under the seat cushion. I have no idea what the box is for but I have power to it, but not exiting it. Need some help with this:

IMG_2222.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the memory seat module, I just began looking at mine. I have plans to make two memory seats for my Mountaineer, so I have no extra parts.

Have you located any function descriptions? All I knew when rebuilding my 99 was that it needs three power sources and one ground. Have you confirmed the two main power wires? One is full time for the motors etc. The other is for the module and is also full time but a separate circuit. The third is basically a signal wire only powered in neutral and park. The basic seat may function without that one. I wonder how that white button is used.

That is the memory seat module, I just began looking at mine. I have plans to make two memory seats for my Mountaineer, so I have no extra parts.

Have you located any function descriptions? All I knew when rebuilding my 99 was that it needs three power sources and one ground. Have you confirmed the two main power wires? One is full time for the motors etc. The other is for the module and is also full time but a separate circuit. The third is basically a signal wire only powered in neutral and park. The basic seat may function without that one. I wonder how that white button is used.

Thanks for the reply, I have the problem narrowed down to either the memory seat module or the motor itself, or both. I tried using a jumper wire to apply power to the motor, but I am not sure if I was doing that correctly. Can anyone tell me how this should be done?

I also have one memory seat that didn't work, the original 99 seat has never worked. I always wanted to use my 93 seats, so they went in and always worked great. The wiring is the same for any year, and just recently I discovered the 95-01's have a fuse in the module itself. I haven't checked it yet, I only figured out what makes the seats different.

The three motors are the same for any seat or side, but the memory seat three motor set has a sensor built into it. There is an extra connector in those motors, which goes to the module.

If you can diagnose that the issue is the motors and not the module etc, that is an easier fix. I just bought two new old seat tracks, there is an eBay seller has has several of the Explorer seat tracks new. The old 93/94 Limited seat he wants $100 and shipping for. I got the 95-01 unit, for $65 etc.

FYI, you can use a 95-01 Limited memory seat track in your 93/94 truck. The wiring connectors are identical, and the seat bolt pattern is the same. The 95-01' seat tracks have an aluminum frame, and enclosed motor shafts. Regards,

I also have one memory seat that didn't work, the original 99 seat has never worked. I always wanted to use my 93 seats, so they went in and always worked great. The wiring is the same for any year, and just recently I discovered the 95-01's have a fuse in the module itself. I haven't checked it yet, I only figured out what makes the seats different.

The three motors are the same for any seat or side, but the memory seat three motor set has a sensor built into it. There is an extra connector in those motors, which goes to the module.

If you can diagnose that the issue is the motors and not the module etc, that is an easier fix. I just bought two new old seat tracks, there is an eBay seller has has several of the Explorer seat tracks new. The old 93/94 Limited seat he wants $100 and shipping for. I got the 95-01 unit, for $65 etc.

FYI, you can use a 95-01 Limited memory seat track in your 93/94 truck. The wiring connectors are identical, and the seat bolt pattern is the same. The 95-01' seat tracks have an aluminum frame, and enclosed motor shafts. Regards,

Wow, thanks for all the great info. I will do some searching.

Anyone know how to figure out if the module or the motor is the problem? I don't want to guess and be wrong as I am trying to fix this as cheap as possible.

I think looking in a service manual would be best, or else the Lincoln forums may be more help.

I think looking in a service manual would be best, or else the Lincoln forums may be more help.

I have the Haynes manual and there is nothing covering the power seat circuit, not even a wiring diagram. I know others have talked about using jumper wires to apply power to the motor which I have tried, but I am not sure I did this right.

On the picture, the harness on the right going into the module has constant power and switched power from the seat control so I have ruled out the switch. It does not, however, have any power coming out of the module on the harness on the left side which goes to the motor. If I could verify that the motor was working, I could assume the module is dead and replace it. I would prefer not to guess and be wrong as I just want to get it working to sell it.

Besides searching with the internet, I'd try to get a DVD service manual. They are very inexpensive now, but often you end up buying many years and models of cars. A factory service manual should have something covering the memory seat.

I went ahead and picked up a new module from the salvage yard for $50. Put it in and everything works great. Thanks for the info.

Very good, that's not a big guess to spend, and you found it.

I just scored on a set of 93 or 94 limited seats for my expo. I got the passenger seat to work since it only needs power and ground. The Driver one does want to work even though there is power and ground but after reading this thread i guess 2 wires have to see power and a ground is that correct?

I just scored on a set of 93 or 94 limited seats for my expo. I got the passenger seat to work since it only needs power and ground. The Driver one does want to work even though there is power and ground but after reading this thread i guess 2 wires have to see power and a ground is that correct?

This I am not sure about, but keep in mind that the Limiteds have a separate memory seat control on the driver's door. Since you are installing them into an Explorer without this switch, there is probably a way you have to bypass this. My seat wouldn't move at all once the memory module failed so obviously it is an important part.

That's exactly whats going on the passenger side works fine since it only needs power and ground. the other one in the other hand has all kinds of wires just dont know what type of current they need.

I'm not sure if a memory seat motor set will run without the module etc. The actual motor assembly is unique, it has sensors built in and may or may not need them operating for the motors to work.

Try this, bypass the memory seat module and harness. That part is easy, just disconnect the two wire connectors going into the motor assembly. The hard part is that you will need the wiring from a non memory seat to test with. The main connector going into the motors is the same as a normal seat. The memory seat module harness includes that 12 wire connector which you basically cannot use. The normal seat wiring is not complicated but may not be easy to find separate.

Thus it may be as simple as swapping a wiring harness from a normal seat into that seat. But I cannot say whether the sensors in the motor assembly will keep it from working that way. I think it will, but don't be mad at me for the guess. Let me know if the seat works without the memory seat module and harness, I could use those I think. Good luck,

thanks for the info. I might just have to bypass all the modules and go straight from the motor itself just like the passenger one.

There is only one module, and its special harness. All power seats have a basic switch harness, that's what you need to plug into the switch, motor, and feed wires.

Hey guys, I was thinking off taking the power seat out of my newly dead explorer (r.i.p.) in case i can use it later, or make a nice chair for myself. But I'm wondering what sort of power supply do i need to have going through it and what amperage. I thought it may be labeled on the motor or what not and thought maybe you guys saw it while taking yours apart. Haynes doesn't seem to know anything.

This is the same problem I'm having no power to the drivers seat.Can't find the power wires for drivers seat HELP.

Back