Limp mode problems after throttle body and plugs... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limp mode problems after throttle body and plugs...

dougBFR

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport 3.5
I will try to make this short. I've worked on and modified a lot of cars and this thing has me stumped.

2014 Explorer Sport ecoboost, no modifications other than a flowmaster exhaust, 118,000 miles.

Been having delayed power and loss of power for a couple months. If you hit the gas it's like the engine wants to go and it starts to accelerate but it seems to build boost and then come back down and build again and come back down. Sometimes it has a little bit of a surge from a dead stop and often you hit the gas and it just doesn't want to go. Like it has a lag.

Last week it went into limp mode. Shut it off and turned it back on and it was fine. Happened again over the weekend. Did some research and everything was pointing to throttle body and plugs and dirty MAP sensors. Cleaned all three MAP sensors, the one on the top of the intake manifold was basically black. Changed plugs and gapped to 52 as that is what I read from several posts. Got the throttle body from NAPA. Went to plug it in and noticed there was a vacuum hose on the side of the wastegate acutator controller next to the intake that little hose had popped off...I found several people especially ecoboost flex and SHO that this happens to. Plugged that hose back in and good lord did it wake the power up! Seemed like everything was fixed and it had a ton of power like it was new again.

Wife went to drive today and it just shut down. Limp mode. Got it towed back home.

Scanner gave me...
P0131 - o2 sensor
P2112 - throttle stuck closed
P2111 - throttle stuck open
P0507 - idle higher than expected

Replaced o2 sensor side 1 bank 1 right next to the passenger wheel well.

Still idles very high...has erratic idle...pull out of the driveway and the instant I hit the gas it goes into limp mode and also gives a "terrain management fault". After clearing codes with the scanner the only code that comes back up is the P0131 and that says permanent so I am guessing I can't clear it. When it goes into limp mode it shudders bad until I put it in park to idle and like I said the idle is very high.

I have had two other twin turbo vehicles audi and VW and I have a F250 6.0 with a ton of work done to it and a custom tune. For the life of me I cannot figure what is wrong with this explorer. I do have a new diverter bypass valve on the way as it is the last thing I have not checked or replaced yet. I am still guessing but I think it is either one of the MAP sensors that I cleaned is just shot most likely the one on the top of the intake that was super dirty, or its that bypass diverter valve???

Seriously any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Doug.:wave:
I'm no mechanic so unfortunately not of any help here. Hopefully, others with more knowledge will see the thread and be able to assist. Good luck.
Have a look at this post that I found using the 'Search' feature. Throttle body / limp mode / ECU issue?

Peter

I doubt this is your issue, but the 3.5 EcoBoost plugs should be set to .033-.037, not the .052 you used. The .052 is for the non EcoBoost 3.5 plugs. Good luck with finding the issue.

Back