• Register Today It's free!

Lincoln Aviator power

rhyno

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 EB
What do you guys think of the new Lincoln Aviator. Based on a X with 302 HP out of a DOHC!!! Seems like it is going to be a beast. My dad has a 2001 Navigator with that same engine, and the Aviator is alot lighter. It should really move. I want to see how compatable the parts of this truck are with the X for the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the aviator has a different engine then the navigator. the nav has a 5.4 that makes 300 hp, the aviators is based on the old 4.6 cobra engine, tuned for slighted more low end torque

The Aviator engine is the same as the Mercury Maurader as they tuned that engine for the low-rpm torque that those vehicles need with an automatic. Edumunds and other reviews said the truck had neck snapping acceleration, it'll definitley be down in the low sevens, the dohc 4.6 and 3.73 gears will make awsome mid-range and top end power and plenty of low-end. And it's one of the best sounding engines available, well at least to me thats important:D

I've posted some pics here before. They are building and testing the Aviators arround here and I see them all the time. I can't wait to drive one. I am really thinking about getting one when they come out and starting over on it! I would love to get one all black with black leather interior, Black Burl Woodgrain and then all the A/V system and Cobra Motor parts!

I too was very anxious once I heard about the cobra motor being in the Aviator. If you've read the latest C&D ot MT, you'll be disappointed. It's not really any quicker than the 4.6 SOHC Explorers or Mountaineers. MT clocked a 8.0 sec 0-60, and 16.0 sec 1/4 mile. C&D clocked a 7.6 sec 0-60, and a 16.2(or 3) 1/4 mile. The trap speed was pretty impressive at 88 MPH, but I was not impressed with the times. I also didn't check the weight. It must weigh quite a bit more than the new gen Explorers/Moutaineers.

One of my coworkers had one for a weekend back in the beginning of October. She said that there was a huge difference from her Explorer in both the ride and the power (which makes sense as the engine is different and the suspension is different).

Lincoln Avaitor

I better be different than an Explorer or even the new generation Mountaineer! The base price of an Avaitor is around $45k according to the test reports I have read from Car & Driver and Motor Trend. You can get a pretty nice SUV in a fully Loaded Premier edition of a Mountaineer for $40k tops. My understanding is the Avaitor has the same independent suspension as the Explorer/Mountaineer. I have test drove both a new generation Explorer and a Mountaineer and the Mercury is definitely much quieter and smoother. I dont think Lincoln could have made the Avaitor much smoother or quieter that would justify a $10k for a fully loaded model.

Aviator review - http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/76639/article.html

Neck snapping power! If Car and Driver got those times they screwed something, I've ran a 15.7 at 87-88mph in my neighbors 02' 4.6 Explorer 2wd at the track.

The Aviators suspension is the same as Mounty/Explorer but tuned for a smoother ride and better handling. And it's much more luxurious, basically it's exactly like a miniture Navigator right down to the dash design and materials used.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
The Aviators suspension is the same as Mounty/Explorer but tuned for a smoother ride and better handling.

While all of this is said in reviews, it is more than "tuning." The Aviator is 3 inches wider than the Explorer, but most of the suspension pieces are different from the Explorer. The rear suspension pieces won't bolt up from an Explorer to an Aviator. (One of my friends was working on NVH for it before going to the next gen LS.)

I think the new Aviator is sweet. I would love to have the 302HP. Does anyone know when they are supposed to be in the showrooms? Hopefully in december when I take my X to the Lincoln/Mercury dealer for oil change etc. I can check out the Aviator. Totally awsome.

Oh as for the weight of the Aviator that Car and Driver tested, it weighed 5,089lbs. It is the AWD model so it weighs more than the 2WD would.

The aviator engine is actually closest to that of the new Mach 1. But it is 4v, so it is very different from the Nav's 4.6

Originally posted by Explorer46L
The aviator engine is actually closest to that of the new Mach 1. But it is 4v, so it is very different from the Nav's 4.6

The only engine the Nav has had is a 5.4. In '00 it became a 4V 5.4.

Oh as for the weight of the Aviator that Car and Driver tested, it weighed 5,089lbs. It is the AWD model so it weighs more than the 2WD would. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahh, that explains the track times. It needs to go on a serious diet. No wonder why the new V8 Moutaineer is just as quick at 500 lbs. lighter. If money were no object, sure, I'd love the Aviator. That motor is supposed to produce some of the sweetest sounds with the correct exhaust. Unfortunately, money is an issue, so I'd save $10K+, and pick on of the cheaper twins....

Originally posted by kkreit01
Oh as for the weight of the Aviator that Car and Driver tested, it weighed 5,089lbs. It is the AWD model so it weighs more than the 2WD would.
Ahh, that explains the track times. It needs to go on a serious diet. No wonder why the new V8 Moutaineer is just as quick at 500 lbs. lighter. If money were no object, sure, I'd love the Aviator. That motor is supposed to produce some of the sweetest sounds with the correct exhaust. Unfortunately, money is an issue, so I'd save $10K+, and pick on of the cheaper twins....
dohc 4.6 is hands down the best sounding engine available. Of course there are Exotics like Ruf Porsches, Lamborhini and Ferrari......but those don't count:D

I'm obsessed with the 4.6 V8's sound, whether it's sohc or dohc. I have a friend with an 01' Cobra and another with an 03' Cobra, and they both have basically the same mods - Magnaflow cat-back, Magnaflow x-pipe, headers, intake, chip....ect. And the sound is incredible, everyone must hear a dohc 4.6 with a Magnaflow set-up, <insert drooling>:) That was one of my main things for going with a 4.6 Mounty, the 4.6 has that hollow/loud/burble/exotic sound that no ohv engine could ever make.

I still can't wait to see on of them from the drivers seat. I am really going to try an get one. In a few years. Put some new chrome 20"s on it and make it bling! LOL

I do miss the sound of the 4.6 liters' dual exhaust pipes coming out the back of my '95 T-bird but I don't miss it's off-road handling.

I have a 01 Mountaineer with the 5.0 V-8, one of the reason I bought it. I love the low rumble when it idles and the rumble when I step on the pedal. It has good low end power and gives me good acceleration.

Back