Link to NHTSA complaint form for exhaust fume smell entering the cabin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Link to NHTSA complaint form for exhaust fume smell entering the cabin

Summers22

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited 4x4 3.5
I was reading about the exhaust fumes investigation on here and all over the internet and decided to see how I could register my complaint. I found the NHTSA website and filled out the form. It is VERY important all Explorer owners that have smelled exhaust fumes in their cabin to register a complaint. I just want a safe vehicle for my wife and kids to be able to ride in (well, me too ;)). Maybe together we can make Ford own up and fix this engineering flaw. This is your voice people, use it!

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, lots of people are reading my post but no replies. Hope you all take the time to register a complaint.

I threw one in. Maybe it'll be a helpful data point in the engineering analysis... I don't know.

Or get you on a list for your vehicle to be evaluated. I want public record of mine being on a NHTSA list in case of a recall etc.

More people need to use this link, its very helpful in determining just how many are having issues.

I wish could throw in my support for my complaints, but other countries are not included. Have to do this locally...

I live in California and I do not smell any exhaust smoke. California has very strict laws on emission. Not sure if that has any effect to the exhaustion issues.

It appears there are cracks forming in the exhaust manifolds.

I was reading about the exhaust fumes investigation on here and all over the internet and decided to see how I could register my complaint. I found the NHTSA website and filled out the form. It is VERY important all Explorer owners that have smelled exhaust fumes in their cabin to register a complaint. I just want a safe vehicle for my wife and kids to be able to ride in (well, me too ;)). Maybe together we can make Ford own up and fix this engineering flaw. This is your voice people, use it!

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
I can't log my complaint here because I'm Canadian.
Has anyone actually had a dealership replace the exhaust manifold(s) after the warranty has expired? I have cracks in both exhaust manifolds on my 2014 Explorer and the estimate is coming in at around $4000.00!

Welcome to the 5th gen Forum. :wave:
Do you still have your 1999 Explorer? I doubt very much that they would replace the manifolds without billing you for them. Some have had replacements done under warranty. There are several threads on manifold cracks that I just found using the 'Search' feature but I didn't go through them.

Peter

Do you still have your 1999 Explorer? I doubt very much that they would replace the manifolds without billing you for them. Some have had replacements done under warranty. There are several threads on manifold cracks that I just found using the 'Search' feature but I didn't go through them.

Peter
I do still have the ol '99! It is a fire breathing bush truck on a piece of land in Northern Ontario. Gets a little harder to start each spring.
I have read some accounts of dealerships quietly replacing the cracked exhaust manifolds. I'm really happy that the manifolds have built in converters to help the cost skyrocket.

Peter
I found something interesting in the Ford Warranty Guide under Emissions Defect/Performance Warranty.
"Passenger cars and light duty trucks (applies to vehicles up to 3,856 kilograms (8,500 lb) GVWR):
8 years or 130,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first) from the original warranty start date: Catalytic Converter, Electronic Emission Control Unit (ECU) and any other On-Board emissions diagnostic devices, including the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM).

The Explorer has 2 Exhaust Manifold And Converter Assemblies. They are each a single part so they cannot replace the manifold without changing the converter. I'm taking it to a local dealership on Tuesday morning and I'm going to try my best to get it done under warranty.
What do ya think? Anyone have any advice for a dealership battle?

Good luck and please be sure to report back.

Peter

Good luck and please be sure to report back.

Peter
It was a long and arduous journey! I had the exhaust inspected at a dealership in St. Catharines, ON. They said the only leak was in the crossover pipe. I had that replaced and later, while backing into my garage, I hear the telltale ticking/puffing sound of a leaking exhaust manifold. Called and spoke to the service advisor who pretty much told me to pound salt. Said the technician had over 20 years experience and that I would have a check engine light on if there was a manifold leak. I asked who I could speak to and he told me to call the Ford Customer phone number... I took it to Planet Ford INC in Brampton today (I bought it there but it's over a 2 hour round trip). They inspected it, the left manifold is leaking and it IS fully covered by the Emissions Warranty.

The manifold/convertor assemblies appear to be a welded design. For those that arent fortunate to get approved for warranty replacement the cracks should be able to be repaired by a competent welder.

My ‘14 has an exhaust smell occasionally, I need to inspect it closely, I suspect there must be a crack somewhere up front as well but I am at ~ 190,000 km so way over the warranty period.

Back