Linseed Oil Rust Prevention (NY) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Linseed Oil Rust Prevention (NY)

CorMazz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT
So I recently picked up a 2005 Explorer Sport Trac XLT, and I wanted to help prevent underbody rust from the harsh winters here in NY. From what I found on the internet, boiled linseed oil --possibly mixed with motor oil and paint thinner*-- is a decent, cheap way to prevent underbody rust. I also have some rust converter to help get rid of some of the more stubborn existing rust. Does anyone have any comments/critiques on this idea? Rust converter and then a boiled linseed oil solution sprayed on or otherwise applied?

*http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...seed-oil-rustproofing-solution-oldtimers.html

I'm from Pittsburgh. Every vehicle I had from there had rust. Some worse then others. I found the best rust prevention was moving to North Carolina. I have a 2001 sport Trac with no rust at all. 180,000 miles. However, what your doing might work. Wire brush loose rust and apply a coating of some type. I would use a good quality gloss paint. The oil will attract and hold dirt that might lead to more rust.

You can also use something like Amsoil HD Metal Protectant. It's kinda expensive, but I've been using it on my Trac and my old Ex for the last 5 years in the terrible salt of northwest Indiana, and it protects ridiculously well. I barely have any rust on the Trac and it's stayed that way through the last 4 winters.

Back