List your Explorer and the NOISES it makes! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List your Explorer and the NOISES it makes!

Noises from my 97 SOHC

I frequently have screaching and annoying noise from the general area around the front passenger seat. Often when I drive at slow speeds, make a wrong turn or when I'm selecting a radio station and\or change a tape.... sometimes all I have to do is breath for it to occur.

It seems to only happen when my 18 year old daughter is in the front seat. Anyone with kids have the same problem?

Chilton may included the condition in its next repair manual update. I'd be interested to see what their fix is.
Maybe an ejector seat or a manual override button for the passenger side air bag.

(just kidding)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When Im waiting to the light turn green I can hear the vibration sound of all the muffler things, I hate it, even I took it to the muffler shop and they said it was all fine.

But I still love my Explorer. Even more when I see the others trying to catch me ;)

i get alot of really fast clicking and ticking when my truck is idling in drive. it doesnt matter if it is cold or hot or anythin like that

bald and deaf, not attractive on women.

i am willing to bet that no one has LOUDER front brakes than myself. we are not talking screech, we are not talking squeal, we are talking scream people, wail even. my pads are new, rotors are fine i got the good old "they're semi metallic that's why they squeal." get off the crack pipe, stop telling me it's nromal and FIX THE FREAKING THING.

i also have this really fun, constant, unending, repetitive, non stop ticking noise coming from the front passenger wheel, it slows down as the car slows. drives me bananas.

back to the title of my post; deaf from blaring the radio so i don't have to hear the noises, bald from ripping my hair out, and female from birth.

I had the tick, tick, tick...got the cam tensioners replaced...that worked for 5 minutes...still got tick, tick, tick.
Got the clunk when switching from Reverse to Drive and vice versa.
Had the awful squeal from the dust boot covers...only after completely replacing all four rotors and pads...did I give up and take it to the ford house...Only $140, not bad considering I have seen on here as high as $350.
Had the roof rack cross beams on backwards when we bought it...took the dealer 3 days to figure that one out.
And finally(knock on wood)the terrible noise the rear wiper makes going across the glass.

:fire:

Not one.... nada.... zilch..... zip..... That's not to say that none have ever tried starting. I just get real **** about having anything, no matter how small and niggling, wrong with any of my iron.

This is one mechanic that refuses to drive scruff...:D

Mine has been making a thump thump as I drive on uneven pavement like parking lots and stone drivways. Its really noticable around 10-20 mph. Can't tell what exactly is causing it but its driving me nuts!! :fire: I'm going to cahange out the shocks when I get the money and hopefully that's it.

'Mine has been making a thump thump as I drive on uneven pavement like parking lots and stone drivways'

Have you checked the radius arm bushing, I'm positive it is the cause, I had the same (and many others around here.

Edit '' Sorry I did not see the year of your EX, but still could be into the control arms or someting''

tac, tac, tac, tac, and it never stops, It increase when accelerated, is not the gearbox, It came from someplace in the lower engine. Nobody here sims to now what it is (Venezuela). Please Help!

tac, tac, tac, tac, and it never stops, It increase when accelerated, is not the gearbox, It came from someplace in the lower engine. Nobody here sims to now what it is (Venezuela). Please Help!

I dented the oil pan on my ranger, and the crank would graze it everytime it went over the dent. You could feel it if you put your hand on the bottom of the oil pan.
The best trick I ever learned for finding noises, is using a screw driver. Place a long screw driver on your engine and place you ear up to the handle. You can hear everything going on inside your engine. Just be careful not to get clothing, hair, jewelry caught in moving parts.

:shoot:

1, Click Click from door handles around 80kph
2,After a panic stop when i let my foot off the break it makes a god awful groan under the floor board
3,Going 90kph over a fire road i can hear the rear glass hitting the metal latch
4,Bogging from motor when floored
5,Nagging from passengers seat caused by 3 of the above:p

Mine goes click, click, click, click , etc... after it is hot and I turn it off.

now that I FINALLY got rid of the ping, the engine is smooth and quiet. But, I always hear the tranny belts do something when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Sounds like I've run over some animal. EVERY door squeeks on its hinges AND the panels... so that's 2 noises per door equals 8 sets of squeeks, rattles, chirps, etc. The vibrating flaps on the back of the rear seats, a chirp coming from one wheel... haven't pinpointed it yet. Every time I hit a bump, I think the dash is gonna fall off. Actually, I was driving a 96 a few years ago on I-271 around Cleveland... hit a bump and the stereo's head unit actually fell out of the dash. How bad does that suck??? Oh, and something under the passenger seat is driving me crazy! That's about it. I can deal as long as the radio is cranked

Making Noise

'94 XLT w/ 131,000 miles

I get the clunk when shifting to reverse. When I first start up on a cold morning the belt wines and sqeaks. I replaced the belt so now I'm not sure if it's the tensioner or the altenator. I mainly clunks from the front left while going over bumps, more so when the brake is applied. Radius arm bushings have been replaced so I think it's bad shocks. The wonderful ABS purr when braking on sand or snow. The back panel vibrates from my sub. The passenger seat clunks and sqeaks from the vibration driving between 60 & 65. The driver door handle clacks when windy or when being passed by an 18 wheeler. The occasional grinding sound of my hubs all though that's gone away. (so has 4 wheel drive. Need new hubs.) The sound of me screaming after I rip my knuckles working on it. :frustrate

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

This is an old post, but I have a wierd sound coming from my X. It sounds like the exhaust is rattling around near the Cat. When I accelerate to around 2000 RPMs, there is a small but annoying rattle that comes from around the CATs. Anyone esle had this problem?

Thanx
Wes

Sounds like your heat shields are coming loose. Mine did the same thing a while back. Easy fix if you have a welder. Just take a rubber mallot and pound on the exhaust to check for rattling. Sounds like this is your prob. :D

And damn this is an old thread. I wonder what Monochromous is doing these days....

To add to the list:
All doors scqueak with you open them,
Speaker brackets rattle when the bass hits,
The sub whines depending on RPM,
Dash squeaks,
Engine Clatters when excellerating,
Shocks or something of that nature thumps up front,
Exhaust is loose and rattles,
Tires hum,
I'm sure there is more I'm missing:eek:

All the clunks mentioned before, plus a sound like a pocket full of change rattling whenever you go over a small bump. Creaks and complains around 90 degree turns. Someone lives in the passenger side rear door, and bangs from inside with a stick. The rear hatch does the same thing, as though it might launch itself from the vehicle. I solved that one by wrapping electrical tape around the catch on the hatch. It works, although, I have found out that it's better to never use it again after that. If you open it up, you then have to reapply the tape for it calm down.

my driver side window just started squeakin :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clunk coming from the upper passenger side dash area, near door frame. It's driving me nuts.:confused: :frustrate

Back