lmtd. - slip differential options(for a '99 sport) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lmtd. - slip differential options(for a '99 sport)

William Schumacher

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4X4
I gave a call to west coast differential,and they told me I should go with the Eaton system,and so did Randy's ring & pinion,however...most of the post's suggested the auburn(standard version,not the pro),for the cone design.But when I asked these places why not the auburn,they told me "it can't be rebuilt".Anyone know if this is true or not,and could you tell me for all around use, 80% city driving, what is the best system to get.
thanks,

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,auto
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

although I was going to get the auburn,I decided,I have decided on the Eaton,it has a stonger case is cheaper(costwise),and is a new design,with the carbin-fiber clutch,it is an aggresive,well made unit that can be rebuilt,I'm going to put the royal purple 75/90,gear oil in it is GL-5 rated,and has it's own additive,I never liked mixing oil and additives together,you wind up messing with the complexities of the lube,anyway
wish me luck

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,4X4
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins

Bill,

I don't think that you'll go wrong with an Eaton. The name has been around for years, and it is respectable. One question, did you say that this is a new product? I hadn't heard of an Eaton limited slip being available for the Ford 8.8" before.

------------------
Tom
99 Sport 4x4
SOHC
Auburn Rear & Gerald's old Shackles

Hey Tom: Yes it is a new product,about 3 weaks or so, though it is basicly,the same design...it has been improved greatly through
the quality of the components,and case.
but like all thing's, I won't know till I get my hands on it.
Ray had a good Idea,for me to get pictures of the unit,and the install.
so that's what I'm going to do!!!!! Dead Link Removed
thanks,

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,4X4
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins

Back