Load-Leveling System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Load-Leveling System

withers

Reaction score
I bought my '99 XLT 4x4 in June and at the time I decided not to find one that had the load-leveling system, because they were few and far between and because I wasn't sure that I really needed it. Does anyone, who has this option, use it and what for?

I plan to attach a single motorcycle carrier to my hidden hitch that I installed, in order to avoid buying and storing a trailer. From what I have read and heard the combined weight of hitch, my 230 lb CR250 and possibly a 5 gallon gas can(not to mention riding gear, tools and other gear)will sag the rear end suspension heavily. I am considering buying the parts necessary to install the stock load leveling system or buying an aftermarket air bag system to help support the rear leafs. Any thoughts or input would be great help, especially from explorer-heads that have the stock system or from people who load up their cargo area and don't have a suspension leveling system.

This site is great, BTW. I have been reading here and there since I got mine three months ago.

------------------
Withers

99 XLT 4X4

[This message has been edited by withers (edited 10-10-1999).]

[This message has been edited by withers (edited 10-15-1999).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone's gotta have an opinion on the load-leveling system. Maybe someone who tows a trailer with a lot of tongue weight or someone who fills up the cargo bay with rocks?

I have the UK spec 4 litre V6 SOHC Auto. Over here, the only choice we get is leather/not and what colour. They all have the self levelling suspension.

I have an old Range Rover that I use for playing in the mud. The Explorer pulls this along quite admirably. There must be at least six times the recommended nose weight of 50 kilos, but it still performs well, with the only indication that there's a heavy weight in the back in the slightly squashed tyres.

Buy the air bags and replace the factory shocks with Edelbrock, KYB, or Bilsteins. I just spent several weeks researching the topic and have installed Air Lift air springs (800)248-0892 and they are great! I also put on 4 KYB shocks at the same time. Cost was $600 total installed out the door. I had mine done at Argo Enterprises in Buena Park, California, if you are in the area (714) 562-2701. They came highly recommended by a repair shop I have used for years, and when these old timers recommend another shop, they have always been on the money. So far, I am quite happy with the change(s) and the $600 was the best price for the air bags and 4 shocks that I could find. Would have been alot less if I had wanted to install them myself, as the Air Lift and shocks were reasonably capable of being installed by the average home mechanic. Bottom Line, in my humble opinion, is: go with the air bags (they have worked for me very well) and change out the shocks at the same time. You will be good to go for at least 100,000 miles from what I could determine.

Withers: As a follow-up be GLAD you did not go with the Ford Load Leveling system. It's just a pair of plain ole AIR SHOCKS and you are supposedly stressing them out with 200-300 lbs of gear in the cargo area of the '99 Explorer. Also, they place ALL the stress on the shock mounts (yep, plain ole ordinary shock mounts) and the mounts are NOT made to bear consistently heavy loading by the cargo and/or whatever you are towing. The air bags do NOT involve the shock mounts in any way, only the frame and leaf springs. Far, Far superior to the Ford Motor Co. solution of simple air shocks! It's too bad there's not more response from the participants at this site in regard to air bags. I also found that I had to do all original research myself in determining the best and most affordable solution to the rear sagging in my '99 XLT. It is terrible that Ford puts such weak suspension on these $30,000 vehicles and that we have to go aftermarket to get support for what you would think the vehicle should be capable of out of the box! I even have the "TOW package"! What a joke!

RandyM:

What version of the Air Lift did you put on: ride control or Super duty?(As seen in Performance Products Catalog)? What made you go with Air Lift as opposed to a Hellwig or Firestone system? Hellwig system looks like something that I could install, no drilling and only $180 through JC Whitney. Did you have on board air installed also for adjustability anytime? BTW, I have tow package also. Wish it had included a class three hitch, that I had to add. Also, in your opinion, can I get by with stock shocks after the addition of air suspension for a while? I am waiting to see what I want to do about lifting to fit bigger tires before I purchase better shocks.

Hey all...I've been researching this topic for about 2-3 months now. I posted here a while back, but didn't get any response until recently (thanks to those who did!).

Anyway, just yesterday I broke down and ordered the Air Lift air springs (explorer part #59506 for rear & #80777 for front) for the rear & front. I didn't really need the front, but I'm calling it the poor-man's suspension lift. I also opted for the on-board air compressor system w/dual guages, for independent control of front and back.
I will be installing them next week, so I'll post and let everyone know how it works out.

I'm pulling a 21' travel trailer with weight distributing hitch. With the weight distributing system, it sags just a little more than I'd like, but the air bags should fix it right up.

TimR><>
'93 XLT 4x4
'93 Ranger Splash

Well....they're in! It took me and 2 of my friends most of Saturday afternoon to install the Air Lift air springs and compressor system, but it's done. Wow! Without the trailer, I have about 2" of lift, and a smoother ride. With the trailer, my stock ride height is maintaned perfectly. I put Ride Controls in the rear, and Airlift 1000's in the front.

Actually, the toughest part was running the hoses and wiring for the compressor. We were able to mount the compressor above the spare tire on the underside of the body...there's tons of wasted space there. It's a great spot that's shielded from the elements, and also shields the passengers from the noise of the compressor.

The great thing is, I can have a little bit of lift when I want it, and let the air out for normal height when my wife drives (she doesn't like to have to "climb" up into the explorer!).

Well, I recommend the Air Lifts, I got mine from Explorer Express...they had the best price that I could find. I might consider having the compressor installed professionally though...it wasn't hard, just a pain.

have fun!

TimR><>
'93 XLT 4x4
'93 Ranger Splash

Thanks for the update TimR. What made you go with Air Lift? And why in the front? How was the drilling? I have now purchased my "Moto Jack-Rack" (weight=50 lbs). Together with a unfueled CR250(wt=210 lbs) on top the rear sags almost two inches. I think that all of my gear and 7 more gallons of gas will lower another 1/2 inch. I figure that I could drive like this for short distances, but I wonder about 2-3 hour trips. Do you know what the issues are with driving around while the rear end sags? I have heard that alignment is affected. I am thinking of getting the Hellwig system. Any thoughts on that, anyone?

------------------
Withers

99 XLT 4X4

I too had the sagging on my '92 when loaded, and intended to put a set of Air Lifts, but after ordering (Performance Products, ~$225) them and trial fitting and fiddling, decided they were not what I wanted. What particularly concerned me was having to use straps when lifting or jacking the rear off the ground. Mainly because of the strap issue and ease of installation, I went with Monroe air shocks (~$100) and to tell the truth, at the time, I didn't even think about a possible problem with the shock mounts. I also bought a high pressure pump (~$95) and installed it in the dead space above the spare. Surrounded the mounting area with Dino Matt to deaden the sound, but it was always noisy. The inflator and gauge were installed in the cubby between the front seats. I also installed a line level (after determining true level), but found it to be too course to be of much use. Never had a problem in over 60,000 miles which included tow weights of 10,000 pounds (rated 9,500), and that did not including vehicle loading. Three times over the Rockies on I-80 at altitudes up to slightly over 11,000 feet (very slow to be sure). I would estimate the tongue weight at about 350-450 pounds. I just recently bought a 2000 AWD V8 with load leveling. I haven't towed with it yet, but so far the system has been totally transparent, which is exactly what I expect and want. I've crawled under the thing and can assure you there is no way possible to break the upper shock mounts without serious damage to the frame itself - the shocks are supported their upper end by a major cross frame structural piece of steel. The lower mounts are certainly weaker than the uppers, but I expect no problems. I would offer the shocks themselves are the weak link in terms of breakage, but again I do not expect problems. I know many of you do very serious off roading and also lift your vehicles - a lot, I can't speak to how air shocks would work in that situtation, but for day in and day out use and towing, they can't be beat. The '00 seems to ride a bit stiffer than the '92 and I've read that's a real complaint on Expeditions with air shocks, so my stiffer ride may be due to those load leveling shocks. Jim

I have an opinion on the load leveling system...........

IT SUCKS.

i just bought a 96 limited and the thing rides like a dumptruck. my old 96 had good ole monroe sensatracs and was dramatically more comfortable. can i remove the load leveling system and go back to regular shocks?

thanks

Tom
96 limited dump truck

Well, I installed an Air-Lift system on Sunday. I was told by a JC Whitney rep that the Hellwig system wasn't available for my '99. So I ordered a Ride Control Kit from Summit Racing. I had a bit of a problem putting it on since my drill didn't fit the 5/16 bit that is needed to get the three mounting screws attached. I had to rent a 1/2 in drill at a local equipment place. Took me about 5 hours total including reading the instructions, not including two trips to Home Depot and Target for jack stands, clamps, air compressor, drill bit and such. So far it is working as expected. I have not tried to put a load in the rear end yet, but will soon. The ride has gotten bouncier in the rear(15 psi). I am not sure if I am concerned yet. New shocks would probably help. Normal ride height has increased by 1/2 to 3/4in due to minimum pressure requirement of 10psi. I will report again after I get a chance to load it up this weekend.

------------------
Withers

99 XLT 4X4

[This message has been edited by withers (edited 11-16-1999).]

Withers,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I went with the Air-Lift because of price and the 50+ year history the company has had with making only air spring systems. I put them in the front more for novelty than performance. They were only about $75 more, and with the springs in front, it performs like a suspension lift when I'm not towing a load. With the springs at 50psi, I get about 2 or more inches of lift.

I don't think there's a kit available for the front on the '99's...since basically in the front all you do is slip a bladder into the coil spring.

The drilling wasn't bad for me. I just used a good' ol' Milwaukee drill with the best bit I could find...and just let it rip!

As far as noise from the compressor...when I'm driving I don't hear any noise...it just blends in with the road-noise. When I'm stopped, I can hear it, but it's not objectionable.

In my '93, I just don't trust the shock mounts...that's why I went with the springs instead.

I towed my camper/travel trailer (about 3900lbs) last weekend and the springs performed perfectly.

I am concerned about the straps/jack issue. Does anyone know where to get the right limiting straps for this application?

Thanks,
TimR><>
'93 XLT 4x4
'93 Ranger Splash

Well, the air lift kit performs as expected. I can return my vehicle to stock height after it has been fully loaded down. Install was fairly straight forward, although the driver side air bag does not align perfectly in the vertical direction. The bracket that it rests on is offset which creates a slight angle on the installed air bag. I hope this does not cause premature failure, the instructions were fairly specific on this. I also noticed that handling has been affected when loaded and pumped up to about 50-60psi. The rear end feels like it might fish tail. I never had the vehicle this loaded without the air suspension, so I don't know if this is a result of the add-on or just the heavy weight. Anybody care to comment?

------------------
Withers

99 XLT 4X4

Back