Locating the MAF?

DonM

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ocean View, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I did a search on finding the MAF, one thing i remember is the MAF is held in place by torx screws! But i never seen any post going into detail, so im not sure if i found it or not?

Well i think i found the MAF, but there is "NO" screws. I see four wires going in and a rubber seal, all i had to do is pull it out! This is located just above a filter.

So did i find the damn thing or not?;)

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you found the wiring harness that goes to the MAF. You need a flat head screwdriver to remove the intake tube from the "outer" housing. Then you need to undo the band clamp that holds the filter to this housing. Now you can remove the housing and see inside where the MAF is. Now, pull the MAF towards you and insert a small flat head screwdriver and unclip the sensor pigtail. The MAF should now come free ;)

You lost me bro, i dont know what your talking about! I dont know what all these parts are!:D

If i take off the air filter, i see a screen and behind that screen i see a silver horn looking thing. Is this the MAF?

Thanks

Don

This would be alot easyer if i knew what all this stuff was...Intake tube is between the engine and the air filter, Right?

Don

OK i found the damn thing! Only problem is... i dont have the right torx screw. I have the right size it's not the one with the whole on the top tough.:mad:

Any other way to get them two screw off? What about the one screw that has the grey plastic filled in the screw? How do you remove it?

Thanks

Don

To correctly remove the MAF sensor, go to AutoZone, or some auto parts store and pick up a set of "tamper-proof" torque screw attachemnts. Ran me about $15, but I figure I'll use them for others things soon enough. My neighbor had to borrow one of them last weekend, so I figure they gotten two uses now!
Karl

Would someone be cool enough to post pics of this process?

Back