• Register Today It's free!

Locks on Folding Tonneau Cover

hogsmack

Reaction score
City, State
Ashburnham, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
My 2002 folding tonneau cover will not latch and lock when I close it, It is not a theft issue for me but more of a safety issue as we have alot of snow and ice pack that creates large bumps. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
I can turn the key but the latch does not catch when you close it. You can close it and it will lift up without using the key. Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the cable may be seized in the jacket. Try spraying the cable and lock assembly with lubricant. Flip the cover open (fully) then look where the cable enters the latch mechanism. You should ve able to manipulate the mechanism with your finger, flip the latch to locked position and have it lock and unlock it by pushing the piece the cable pulls. Work it manually until the latch locks properly. (well if the problem is sticky cable/latch)

New BakFlip OE tonneau cover

the cable may be seized in the jacket. Try spraying the cable and lock assembly with lubricant. Flip the cover open (fully) then look where the cable enters the latch mechanism. You should ve able to manipulate the mechanism with your finger, flip the latch to locked position and have it lock and unlock it by pushing the piece the cable pulls. Work it manually until the latch locks properly. (well if the problem is sticky cable/latch)

Have you seen the new BakFlip OE tonneau for the Ford Sport Trac. It's brand new for 2009. Pretty cool!

Have you seen the new BakFlip OE tonneau for the Ford Sport Trac. It's brand new for 2009. Pretty cool!

are you trying to sell them or something? I thought they were for '06+ tracs

I have had the same problem. I used "tri-flow" lubricant and lubed up all the cables and mechanisms. If you can try to elevate what your are lubricating so the fluid runs down into the jacket and get the entire cable. I have used triflow with great success and continue to on the cables on my mountain bike, it works wonders there and on your tonneau cover.

Back