Longer Wheel Studs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Longer Wheel Studs?

JethroBodine

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
I replaced stock 16in wheels on my 2002 XLS with 18in wheels from about a 2005-2007 Mercury Montego. They look great, but because the Montego is a car, the hub center will not fit over the Explorer center, causing a fitment problem. Spacers solve the problem...5/16" on front and 1/2" on back, but the stock wheel studs are barely long enough. I would feel much better with longer studs. Does anyone know how to get longer studs for the Explorer? Part numbers would be helpful. I think both front and back have Timken wheel hub bearing assemblies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe I don't understand what you're doing. But it sounds stupid and dangerous

Get the wheel hubs bored to fit the explorer hubs

Explorer wheels are hub centric. Relying on five extended 1/2" studs to support the forces of 30 pound wheels combined with spacers is an accident waiting to happen. Agree with colintrax, at minimum safety bore them properly or get rims designed for your vehicle. IMO, spacers alone are bad enough.

Where do you go to get wheels "bored out"?
Most machine shops with large enough lathes can do it. This is where your dilemma may be.
If tire dismounting is required, boring, remounting and balancing will add up quickly. Perfect centering and balance are of critical importance. I'd call around machine shops for estimates. Stock hub bore is 70.3 mm, or 2.76". Good luck.

Quit "while you're ahead". Sell the Montego rims and if you want larger diameter rims than your factory ones, check out 4th gen Explorers. They should have the same hub diameter and proper offset. Fooling around with spacers or even trying to bore out the centers properly just aren't good ideas. These vehicles absolutely must have properly installed hub-centric rims, or you will start snapping studs while driving. The great look of your Montego rims is not worth the risk to you or your occupants safety.

Here is a 3rd gen with 4th gen rims. Looks decent and is safe.

Attachments

• 05 with 4th wheels.jpg
    05 with 4th wheels.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 845

been using 1.5" spacers on my 04 XLT with 265/70/17 general grabbers on mustang GT wheels. drive highway speeds 70+ and offroad with this setup, 0 problems in 3+ years. you're good to go.

2002 Ford Explorer with Montego Rims(with Ford centers) and 265 60 18 Michelins

EXPLORERXLS.JPG

I tried to post a pic, but it turned it upside down for some reason.

Back