Looking at 04 E.B. 4.6,What To Look For. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at 04 E.B. 4.6,What To Look For.

backroads

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 LTD 4.6
Hey Guys

I'm looking at an 04 Eddie Bauer, 96k, I have seen a couple issues associated with them on the forum here. But what should I be looking for, it looks like there aren't many problems with these. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks

B.R.

I have seen a couple issues associated with them on the forum here. But what should I be looking for, it looks like there aren't many problems with these.

All 3rd Gen's have common problems, typical things to look for in an 04 would be rear differential whine (usually between 45-55mph), bad wheel bearings (listen for grinding or humming when driving...also try to rock each wheel back and forth if you don't have the ability to put it on a lift to wiggle the wheels), transmission shifting/hesitation/engaging problems, intake manifold cracks, premature ball joint wear (especially the uppers...look for deteriorated dust boots on the upper control arms), rear hatch panel cracks down the middle (around the Ford oval logo below the window), rough idling, blend door functionality (especially having dial air in the EB), and plenty of other issues that you can surmise in the first few pages of reading in this generation's forum.

If it's a 4x4 be especially observant of the functionality of the transfer case when engaging and moving in Hi/Lo and back to Auto 4x4. This is common sense for any 4x4 purchase.

Regardless of it being an XLS, XLT, Limited or EB....it's still a 04 Explorer, they still have issues.

Thanks Potroast, sounds like the intake manifold should be on the watch also.I'll post pics if I get the newer one.

BR

Back