• Register Today It's free!

Looking at Remanufactured 4.0 OHV

cjryan

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XL 4.0 OHV 4x4
96 4.0 OHV 2WD Auto. 245k on body, 15k on rebuilt trans, blown head gasket. I haven't had it diagnosed or compression check, but lot's of white smoke out of tailpipe.

I rebuilt the top end once due to a cracked head but now it's time for a new engine. I looked into rebuilding mine but it's cheaper and more reliable to buy a remanufactured. I'm looking into ATK, Jasper, Engine Parts Warehouse, and a Ford Factory Remanufactured. I researched but couldn't find much on a remanufactured engine anyone has installed here. Anyone had experience with any of the above? They all basically offer a 3yr 100k warranty. Most are parts + $50/hr. labor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a more concise question

Any suggestions for special parts to request for my remanufactured engine? Camshaft? Pistons? Rings? Heads? Valves?

What are best gaskets around to use?

Any suggestions for special parts to request for my remanufactured engine? Camshaft? Pistons? Rings? Heads? Valves?

What are best gaskets around to use?

Ford lower intake and ford valve cover gaskets.. otherwise Felpro works just fine..

The Ford lower lower intake and valve covers are rubber/metal.. and seem to work better..

If you have a choice, go with Delta-Cams rocker arm/pushrod assemblies.. they are hardened and will last longer.

~Mark

Ford lower intake and ford valve cover gaskets.. otherwise Felpro works just fine..

The Ford lower lower intake and valve covers are rubber/metal.. and seem to work better..

If you have a choice, go with Delta-Cams rocker arm/pushrod assemblies.. they are hardened and will last longer.

~Mark

I would rather buy the best available and pay a little more and feel assured they won't fail on me since my current one did. I bought them at Autozone (Felpro I beleive) and within 60,000 miles and little to no abuse they failed. I also realize I might not have torqued correctly, although I knew the pattern and torque spec (maybe my crappy torque wrench??).

Are there any companies who make very high quality gaskets?

I don't know of any brands better than others for the head gasket. I only know the Ford metal/rubber lower intake to be of better quality than the normal felpro.

~Mark

Bump

I'm ordering the engine soon. Anybody have any input on which company? I think I'm going with either Jasper or ATK. Both have good reviews and Dino test.

I have a re manufactured 4.0 ohv from Jasper. I have about 20k on it so far and its been completely reliable. I've had no problems at all.

Back