Looking for a good Transmission guy in Northern California, Sacramento CA+-200 Miles. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a good Transmission guy in Northern California, Sacramento CA+-200 Miles.

dgr6853

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Lincoln aviator
I am having a noise coming from the bell housing of my 2003 Lincoln Aviator. My hunch is that it is one of three things and two of which kinda worry my. I am thinking that the first problem might or could be a loose or breaking flex plate and as a second concern would be a torque convertor problem and the final part would be a pump. I am less worried about the pump currently. I am concerned that there might be a problem with the TCC inside the torque convertor as I've read that this can be a problem on the 5r55s transmission.

I went to a trans shop today and the guy took it for a drive and essentially told me that because the car has 142000 miles that he would just drive it till she blows and then do a rebuild. Now, she may be due for a rebuild as he suggests. I just don't have 2500.00 to spend on this. If I removed the transmission then he would do the rebuild for 1500 and for that kind of money I still have to save up especially if I end up having to get a new torque convertor as well.

So, if its a flex plate then I will just fix it. If, the problem is a torque convertor problem I don't want metal shavings or clutch pack materials to clog the filter and overheat the trans, or for metal shavings to destroy clutch materials (that may be left) on the clutch packs or the bands before I can save enough for a rebuild.

I also don't want to spend the money on a rebuild and then have a problem 1 year later because something wasn't recommended or something wasn't cleaned properly or something along those lines that destroyed new bands or new clutch packs.

In any case, has anyone had work done for a rebuild in Northern California--I am in Stockton, CA-- from someone that they would recommend for me.

The car is new to me as I have only had it for 2 months. I've been investigating this sound as a problem with exhaust but I'm pretty sure its tranny related. Tomorrow I am most likely taking it to a shop with a free inspection and what I am looking for aside from a possible diagnosis is: condition of the fluid and how much clutch pack and or metals are in the fluid and if the fluid is burnt. If the fluid is nice and pretty then I know that the trans is most likely in good condition.

any suggestions /feedback/comments are appreciated.

it can realistically start to be heard at about 28 seconds.

Back