• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a Lift

Iceking007

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello every one I have a 1991 Explorer Sport mostly stock except a custom front bush bar/light rack combo and looking in the future for a Warn Winch. Wondering what every one has to say about lift kits, especially the people with one. I am looking at a 4 or maybe a 5.5" lift don't want to go crazy big was initially thinking 2 but 4 sounds good Super lifts seems good but 5.5 inch is about $200 less than the 4" does any one know why?? There are about two or three other companies that I found that make them let me know what you think... Also how a Canadian Boy can get his hands on one and what it will cost?? thank you!!:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P.S. Sorry I am also thinking to upgrade the front springs to handle more load ie my bush bar and winch ect so it isn't sagging and also need info on some supper tough and heavy duty Anty Roll Bars/ Sway bars front and rear thank you again!!

I would stay away from Superlift and go with Skyjacker.
(as for why the price difference, the SL 4" has replacement leaf springs, the 5.5 uses a flip kit for the rear).

Most front springs are already plenty stiff enough as it is. If you need a slight boost in height due to the winch, etc., a couple washers as shims under the lower coil seats will bring it back up some.

yea its best if you do stay away from superlift they are pretty stupid. i called them up and researched stuff out and they said they had a 4 inch kit for a 92 explorer 2 wheel drive and the morons sold me a FOUR wheel drive kit and labeled it as a TWO wheel drive kit.......i dont like em any more haha

I pieced mine together (not done yet).

the cheapest way to lift the rear is an SOA. summitracing sales the mopar spring perches for this for $12.

as for the front, i got skyjacker springs and shocks on here for $150. sway bar drop brackets, drop pitman arm, & axle pivot brackets I got from 4wheelparts.com. (axle & sway bar brackets are superlift - where i will also buy my radius arm brackets)

check out camburg, autofab, threat motorspotrs, giant for beam

I got my trail master for $800, I am in BC.
thats with new leafs for the rear for a 4"

Wow awsome ok great thank you guys, I looked at sky jacker but they only go to 2" and I am thinking maybe 4" possibly 5/5.5" and Camburg has a great looking kit that is for 5" but they say you can only fit 31's with no prob? I heard some one could fit 33's on with a 5.5" lift is .5" really that much difference?? What would you guys say should I go 4, 5, or 5.5" which would be the best bang for my buck.. do you just say to not go with Super Lifts cuz they are jerks?? or cuz their product isn't that good?? and you said about their rear susp. they flip the springs or something? is that better or worse than the setup in the 4" system?? thank you for the info I'm trying to learn here lol!:p:

5.5-inch lift is cheaper than 4 because you have to replace the rear springs with the 4-inch. 5.5 is a rear spring over conversion, 4-inch retains spring under axle. If I had a rear sag I would consider the 4-inch.

If you do any serious wheeling the 5.5 is better IMO because it removes everything below the axle tubes and differential housing.

I have a superlift 5.5 professionally installed and dont have any complaints. I have had it for over 5-years. I dont wheel that hard or often, but I dont baby my rig. You get what you pay for, and the more you pay the better the lift. Untimately I would like to go with the Camberg or Autofab because of the cut and turned beams and no lift brackets, but for now I cannot justify the cost.

Do the reasearch, plan a build that fits you budget and wheeling needs. There is tons of info on this site and most members love to talk about their junk. Good luck and if you have other question feel free to PM me.

I looked at sky jacker but they only go to 2"

No, they have 4" and 6" lifts

Look under "Ranger" lifts

The only difference is you have to flip the rear leafspring centering pin over for it to work on the Explorer (IMO, I would get the SJ 6" kit "with rear blocks", and just SOA the rear).
I would also highly recommend the bigger drop pitman arm (Skyjacker pt# FA600) with ANY lift above 4". The provided pitman arms aren't dropped enough to fully correct the steering.

As for Superlift, both.
Superlift TTB product designs are woefully behind the times. The coils are uber stiff, the brackets and radius arms are weak (mine broke in 8 months), the centerlinks are too high on their steering kits, and one of their "engineer" guys i spoke to didn't seem to have any clue at all when I called once to ask about some of the issues plaguing their kits.:thumbdwn:
(not sure about their warranty or replacement practices, I just welded the s#!t up stronger rather than take the chance of a new part breaking the same way all over again).

hey i got a 91 sport 4x4 and i wanna do like a 6ich lift i was looking at your post 4x4junkie and thank you so I'm looking into getting that pitman arm and this 6ich lift kit from skyjacker Part Number 236RHKS-A http://skyjacker.com/products/products_search/detail/?id=122692 will that work and is there any other parts ill need. i want at least a 6inch lift so if any better ways please i would love any advice.

I'm trying to get the truck ready for a trip on may long and ill need the lift so i need to make sure i get all the parts lol.

hey i got a 91 sport 4x4 and i wanna do like a 6ich lift i was looking at your post 4x4junkie and thank you so I'm looking into getting that pitman arm and this 6ich lift kit from skyjacker Part Number 236RHKS-A http://skyjacker.com/products/products_search/detail/?id=122692 will that work and is there any other parts ill need. i want at least a 6inch lift so if any better ways please i would love any advice.

I'm trying to get the truck ready for a trip on may long and ill need the lift so i need to make sure i get all the parts lol.

You'll want the extended brake hoses (SJ #FBL36 for the front).

Not real sure if the rear hose will reach, you may have to replace it also (SJ doesn't have a pt# for the rear), or I'm sure you could make a lowering bracket for your stock one (someone else may be able to chime in on that one).

ye i knew that would help had to fix a few at work on lifted trucks, i thought that kit would be right with the nitro shocks and the brake lines wasent sure if i needed anyother parts wanted to be sure lol thanks

Back