Looking for more ideas on major interior upgrades and enhancements | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for more ideas on major interior upgrades and enhancements

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah yes, I remember those seats well. BTW - I still have the center console cushion I got from you back 14 or 15 years ago.

As I mentioned - might be a good idea to try and procure a door panel from a RHD as it probably has the correct shape and buttons already mounted if it was equipment with those options. You can't see it in this photo but I'll ask some of my UK, Japan and Australia people to check..

View attachment 423860
Don - Here is a photo on how they did the mirror and memory controls on the right hand door for the export models. It looks like they have a special trim piece that attaches to the door panel. I’m thinking that’s the one you probably want to get.

760A908F-99B0-46B7-947F-62775D391CC5.jpeg

That is an amazing idea. Just how is the ???
Anywhere from $35-450. Some are very feature rich and can be programmed to tell you tons of (mostly useless) info. Some interact with the ODB2 port and give limited diagnostic and warning info. Some have GPS and work with Google or Waze. They are best at night, and to get the very best picture some project onto a “clear” film that helps color, especially in the day.

The coolest mod I’ve added to my new car is a block heater, and inside electric heater. An hour before work the block heater and inside heater come on, and I get into a car that’s warm, and the motor is at full operating temp in 2-3 minutes with zero warm up time.

Also, having 120v in the car is handy at times.

Anywhere from $35-450. Some are very feature rich and can be programmed to tell you tons of (mostly useless) info. Some interact with the ODB2 port and give limited diagnostic and warning info. Some have GPS and work with Google or Waze. They are best at night, and to get the very best picture some project onto a “clear” film that helps color, especially in the day.
Do you have a link to one of these systems that it’s good? I remember on my Corvette the windshield had a special coating or something to work with a heads up display. Do these require some thing similar or not?

Just go to eBay and type in heads up display

I looked into them for my wife’s FJ cruiser I was not impressed

We have a 2015
Mazda mx9 in the family I get to drive a lot. It has a factory hud that is just stellar, I love it. However the aftermarket ones I have seen leave a lot to be desired

To be great they need to shine on a film. On factory installed cars this is laminated into the windshield. During the day time most are lackluster. I’ve looked into them, but was never willing to pull the trigger, so I don’t know of a model that’s good. I’d check YouTube for actual footage of a model before dropping the cash.

I ordered from Super Brite LED's, 2000 Ford Explorer LED Lights | Super Bright LEDs

I got three little LED towers for the dome lights. They are bright but not obnoxious, much better than the old yellow incandescent bulbs. Now I want a replacement for the rear cargo light and maybe the mirrors.

This is what I ordered: 921 LED Bulb - 18 LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Cool White - Single 230 lumen

Thanks for the info. Years ago, I considered doing an LED upgrade before I realized I have a huge visual aversion to LED lighting. GE was happy though when I bought out all of their inventory of Reveal incandescent bulbs. ;)

I liked the heads-up display in my Pottiac Grand Prix, will likely install one after I research them. It's a gadget yah, but also keeps your eyes on the road.

I painted my Explorer rims with tint and a couple coats of clear. I like how the aluminum shines through the tint, but we get snow, they sand the roads and the road bits have chipped the paint.
final.jpg

I liked my shiny aluminum rims for which I only had to spray on a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water to pop the shine. Older Turbines (not at the shiniest):
100_2166.jpg

Back