Looking for some insight on the 3rd Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for some insight on the 3rd Gen

DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
Hello,

I come from the land of 2nd gens! However, long story short my Exploder exploded.

I have come across a 2004 Eddie Bauer edition, and am going to check it out tomorrow. I'm just wondering if someone can provide me with a little info as to what problems they have, what to look out for, where they rust and what to look out for.

Thanks,

Dom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ones that I've seen with rust, is at the wheel well/fender in the back.

1. If it isn't a V8, walk away.
2. If it's the V6, walk away.
3. Refer to one and two above.

Hear it start cold, the timing tensioners go bad and will cause chain rattle at first start up.
If it's a V8, this isn't a deal killer, but a $1000 drop in price. If it's a V6, then you ignored 1 & 2 above, as this is a deal killer.

Upper ball joints came with crappy rubber, look for busted boots.
Wheel bearings go as early as 40k. Sounds like deep deep lug tires going down the road. Easiest to detect while turn while going down a hill.

2004 and 2005 are the best years in the 3rd gen range.

The ones that I've seen with rust, is at the wheel well/fender in the back.

1. If it isn't a V8, walk away.
2. If it's the V6, walk away.
3. Refer to one and two above.

Hear it start cold, the timing tensioners go bad and will cause chain rattle at first start up.
If it's a V8, this isn't a deal killer, but a $1000 drop in price. If it's a V6, then you ignored 1 & 2 above, as this is a deal killer.

Upper ball joints came with crappy rubber, look for busted boots.
Wheel bearings go as early as 40k. Sounds like deep deep lug tires going down the road. Easiest to detect while turn while going down a hill.

2004 and 2005 are the best years in the 3rd gen range.

Thanks for the quick response.
It's a V8 that I'm going to see. They want $1000 for it. Ball joints aren't a big deal, bearings I've been through on my second gen (Also eats through bearings).

How bad is it to do the tensioners and how often do they go?
This one has 244000 kms on it (152000 miles).

Don't forget the usual Explorer transmission issues- this is the 5R55S after all. The V8 is really the way to go, but the trans is the weak link. This is further complicated by the fact that 3rd gens have no transmission dipstick, so you won't be able to easily determine the condition of the trans fluid. Listen out for rear axle whine (pinion gear), especially between 80-100 km/h. These things are also hard on wheel bearings. Some have rocker rust issues, but not as bad as 2nd gens. If it's an EB with running boards, they tend to trap the snow and salt and can cause unseen rusting on the rockers. I have a Limited and removed my running boards and installed chrome step bars- much easier to spray out the rockers and keep an eye for rust. I love a nice 3rd gen- it's a much better vehicle than 2nd gen, but can be a higher maintenance vehicle. I have owned 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen. I loved my 2nd gen EB, so simple and easy to work on, but 3rd gen is a more refined and comfortable vehicle.

Thanks for the quick response.
It's a V8 that I'm going to see. They want $1000 for it. Ball joints aren't a big deal, bearings I've been through on my second gen (Also eats through bearings).

How bad is it to do the tensioners and how often do they go?
This one has 244000 kms on it (152000 miles).

$1000? With only 152k miles? Why so cheap? Worth an easy 4k-5k all day here in Georgia.

Don't forget the usual Explorer transmission issues- this is the 5R55S after all. The V8 is really the way to go, but the trans is the weak link. This is further complicated by the fact that 3rd gens have no transmission dipstick, so you won't be able to easily determine the condition of the trans fluid. Listen out for rear axle whine (pinion gear), especially between 80-100 km/h. These things are also hard on wheel bearings. Some have rocker rust issues, but not as bad as 2nd gens. If it's an EB with running boards, they tend to trap the snow and salt and can cause unseen rusting on the rockers. I have a Limited and removed my running boards and installed chrome step bars- much easier to spray out the rockers and keep an eye for rust. I love a nice 3rd gen- it's a much better vehicle than 2nd gen, but can be a higher maintenance vehicle. I have owned 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen. I loved my 2nd gen EB, so simple and easy to work on, but 3rd gen is a more refined and comfortable vehicle.

Sounds good, thank you. The climate up here rusts everything out..

$1000? With only 152k miles? Why so cheap? Worth an easy 4k-5k all day here in Georgia.

They all go for about $4-5K here also, but this one is being sold as is and 'damaged'.

$_27.jpg

$_27.jpg

Needs a head lamp, corner light and the fender isn't a big deal for me. (Hammer + Bondo)

Sounds like a steal! Not enough damage to warrant the price. Clean title? Title? No liens?
No other damage?

No codes? Emission history? Plugs been serviced, ie, no blown plug. Transmission shifting okay as mentioned?

If you have a title, for 1k, you really can't lose.

Sounds like a steal! Not enough damage to warrant the price. Clean title? Title? No liens?
No other damage?

No codes? Emission history? Plugs been serviced, ie, no blown plug. Transmission shifting okay as mentioned?

Going to see it tomorrow, so I'll find all of that out.

Got there, turned out to be a V6. But, I got him down to $400 for it. Needs brakes, has some rust, not really a huge deal.

$400? Great deal. You could part it out and make many times that.

I would go for it

Dude. $400, go buy it right now. I sold my ranger, not running. For $800.

You got an absolute steal!
Someone was just tired of buying gas or something, that things easily worth a few thousand.
I've had the 4.0 SOHC in two vehicles (a 2003 Ranger and a 2003 Explorer), the Ranger developed a minor vacuum leak in the intake gasket (which I replaced), the Explorer has been pretty solid.

Is it a 4x4 or a 4x2? I traded in a Rav4/2 up here in Wisconsin several years ago, the auto dealer said they had never even seen a 4x2 model and the trade in value went down like $2,000.

I haven't bought it yet, something just isn't adding up. I feel like they're hiding some major flaw with it, but I can't find it.

The rust may be the main reason. It looks clean otherwise. Was it flooded? They have a clean title, with no liens?
Is it an older person/couple? How long have they owned it?

The rust may be the main reason. It looks clean otherwise. Was it flooded? They have a clean title, with no liens?
Is it an older person/couple? How long have they owned it?

It's a younger couple. The guy seems to have liked it though since he even put aftermarket wheels on it.

It just doesn't add up that he's willing to let it go for $400.

He didn't say how long he's owned it, but it's not his daily driver anymore. We also didn't get a chance to drive it cause his wife's car was conveniently parked blocking the way so the explorer can't get out, and he didn't have the key to it. Something stupid like that. But yeah, my hunt continues.. Expedition's on the list too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back