looking into buying a sport trac, have questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking into buying a sport trac, have questions.

Redneckbmxer24

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 cobra, 07 F250
i currently have 2 cobra's, one which isnt street legal, and one which shouldnt be street legal, and a soon to be lifted 07 F250 that already doesnt fit into parking garage's, and at my new mechanic job, i have to park in a parking garage, and i dont want to park my streetable cobra in there, so i need a DD, and really liek these little trucks.

i also know a buddy that just put a set of SS TSL's on his, and it does AWESOME offroad.

so im curious what the bolt pattern the wheels are, and what would be a good width, and offset, to mount a set of strictly mud tires on, for just mud use (probably small boggers)

have antoher question too. what size tires can i fit on the stock wheels without too much rub issue? and whats the stock wheel size? i would be putting a set of M/T tires on it for DD, and would like the biggest i can get. this wont be seriously off roaded, just through some mud.

is there any years i should steer clear of? any problem years?

how is the stock stereo? i listen to rap, and am a bass-oholic, and will need to add subs, so what options do i have in these, without giving up the back seat?

what are the options on these? i want one fully loaded, leather, sunroof, everything.

anything else i should know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sport trac is an explorer, they share everything except the length of the rear driveshaft, and the Sport Trac had rear drum brakes not disc.
So dont limit your searching to just the Sport Trac model

sweet, i could put cobra wheels on it, lol.

i dont want to lift it up, just put some better tires on it. im looking for a cheap beater, not something to dump loads of money into, thats what my other vehicles are for.

410furtune, i really want the sport trac, i jsut think they look cooler, ive liked them since they first came out, i would have bought one when i bought my truck, because i didnt have to tow a race trailer at the time, but the new 07's look terrible IMHO.

I am a huge fan of the sport trac
they use the same engine, trans, front and rear end as regular explorer's, thats all I am saying here

I am a huge fan of the sport trac
they use the same engine, trans, front and rear end as regular explorer's, thats all I am saying here

i understand. other nice thing about the explorer is i could mount a JL 12W7 in there, and a 1000watt amp, and have plenty of space back there for it. they need a BIG enclosure

2003 and up Sport Tracs also have rear disc brakes. You can also place 10" subs under the rear seats.

The largest rire without a lift will be 30" if you do a torsion twist and put shackles on the rear you fit 32" but there will be rubbing, and you will have cut the inner fenders out.

2003 and up Sport Tracs also have rear disc brakes. You can also place 10" subs under the rear seats.

The largest rire without a lift will be 30" if you do a torsion twist and put shackles on the rear you fit 32" but there will be rubbing, and you will have cut the inner fenders out.

so would 31X10.50, or 11.50's fit ok with tightening the torsion bars, and doing shackles, with no rubbing?

also, what backspacing for the rims?

You are saying 2003 -2005 have rear discs on the 8.8? I was un aware of this

2007+ Sport Tracs are not nearly the same thing at all, they are based on the Gen III Explorer chasis, using the SOHC 4.0L or 4.6L V8, along with independant rear suspension. A very nice ride for sure but not really a live axle Ranger based "truck" any more.
I would have killed for Ford to make the Adrenaline, man I would so tow my BII around with a 5.4L powered Sport Trac

2001-2005 Sport tracs are the same frame, with the same rear axles. They do not have IRS or a V8.

Ford put IRS and the V8 option on the 2007 Gen 2 Sport Tracs.

Redneck I dont remember how to convert the tire size from metric to inches but I put 285/70/17 tires on my ST and they rubbed with just a TT and rear shackles.

I have since installed a lift kit because I was tired of the rubbing.

If you dont want to spend the $$$ for a lift kit I would suggest going with 265/75 tire.

Redneck I dont remember how to convert the tire size from metric to inches but I put 285/70/17 tires on my ST and they rubbed with just a TT and rear shackles.
If you dont want to spend the $$$ for a lift kit I would suggest going with 265/75 tire.

i just dont want to put hte $$ in it, i want a DD, not another lifted vehicle.

those tires are 33X11.50, in most cases.

2" shorter would make big difference in rubbing. also has alot to do with offset, and backspacing.

Stock wheel size is 16x7 on most although there are some out there with 15x7 wheels. 31x10.50-15 will fit stock, a 32x11.50-15 will fit with TT/shackles on a 15x8 rim with 3.75 backspace. Otherwise a 265/70-16 will fit stock and a 265/75-16 with a little TT and maybe shackles. With TT/shackles I've seen people put on 285/75-16's but the stock rims are really too narrow for that and an 8" rim is better.
Tracs have a transfer case skidplate but no fuel tank skidplate. I got one from Ford Accessories through the dealer, cost about $235 and it is very stout.
They off-road very well, just watch the breakovers because of the long wheelbase.
I'd advise an '03+, the rear disc brakes are worth it.
Put in a limited-slip if it doesn't already have one.
The stock shocks are way too soft even for safe street use so put something else in ASAP.

Hi to all! I'm a newbie here and pardon me if I am posting a message on a thread that might be closed already. I earlier posted thru my welcome introduction that if anyone can help me with a decision that I need to make in a week or so regarding a sport trac purchase? I am interested in purchasing a sport trac, one is a 2001 4 x 4 with 110,000 miles at $5k and the other one being offered is a 2003 4 x 2 with 85,000 miles at $9k, can someone help me on what to choose and what would I expect from this 2 models? I live in CA and I just don't want to buy a gas guzzler that I would regret in the long run. Thank you in advance!

I'd say it all depends on if you need four wheel drive or not. I see you live in CA, so snow might not be an issue. If you're just going to use it to drive around in and haul stuff, I'd save money on gas and get the 4x2. The 4x4 will use more gas.

RE: New ( to you) truck purchase

Well, did you decide on a truck yet? Inquireing minds want to know. lol.
if not:
You were asking a couple of weeks ago about the '01 4x4 vs. the '03 2wd.
1) The 4x4 will hold resale value better.
2) The '03 model had some good factory upgrades over the '01 model (Rear disc brakes)
But all in all, the MPG difference in REAL WORLD driving conditions will be about 2 - 3 mpg. Provided they both have the same engine. Now if the 4x4 was a v-8, and the 2wd was a v-6, you would see about 4 to 6 MPG difference in them.
If it were my money though, I'd save the $4000 and get the '01 4x4. MOST of the depretiation is off of it now. And if you buy it and after, say, 6 months you do not like it, you can re sell it for what you paid for it. (Or fairly darn close to it) But the same may not hold true to the '03 2wd.

Just my .02

you can google tire size calculator and it'll be right there for metric to inch and vice versa i got 31x11.50r15 on stock rims and im gettin 285/70r17 on black 17's...now i know just what to get :cool:

Back