Looking to buy my first X, any advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy my first X, any advice?

RebelRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottetown, PE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport XLT
Im thinking about buying my first explorer. The X I'm considering belongs to a family member and she is planning on getting a 2012 explorer sometime soon so she'd like to sell the old one to me.

The X in question is a 2003 Explorer Sport XLT, 4.0L auto, 4x4. She has owned the truck since new and it has always been dealer maintained. The odo just turned 100,000km (yes, kilometers. I'm up here in Canada, Eh). It has 4 brand new all season tires just put on, new windshield put in, new brakes all around. It has been undercoated every year since new and the body is in great shape.

Those are the pros, the only cons about the rig itself are a loose step bar(easy fix I'd imagine), and the rear end has quite a sag to it(also an easy fix, just takes a little effort).

I'm looking for some advice on what to watch out for with these trucks. I'm not overly familiar with the 4.0L motors, but i know some have some trouble with the timing chain. I think this one would have the sohc version, which is the newer and better one, correct or no?

I've been searching around for info, and will continue searching, but any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My girlfriend has an 01 sport. great truck that her family has owned since new and she grew up in. really good trucks.

Sounds like a nice, solid truck. As said, probably the 2 weak points would be the SOHC timing chain tensioner issues, and the trans. If it was serviced by the dealer, I'm thinking that they kept up on the scheduled charts so the transmission was probably serviced as well? If not, I'd change the fluid, miles aren't high. I'd probably look to check the tensioners, but otherwise sounds good so far. :thumbsup:

Back