Looking to education myself

BigZac

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport SOHCV6
Looking for information...

I'm an admitted non-tinkerer. I'm afraid to break something, so I usually let others work on my X (and break it). And I'm new to 4x4s as well. I have a 99 Sport 4WD and would like an explanation as to how the 4x4 works in my X.

The 4x4 selector switch stays on AUTO all the time, mainly because I do very little off-roading (I live in a big city). I moved from Michigan, and I could have sworn I felt the 4WD kick in a few times on the road, but I'm not sure.

How does it work? (I'm referring to the 4x4 AUTO setting only; no need to explain HI or LO.) Is it a front wheel drive vehicle until (like on icy roads in Michigan) the X senses the front wheels have lost traction/power, and then kicks the rear wheels into play? Or does the number of wheels in "drive" mode vary depending on speed? Thanks.

The auto is pretty much fulltime 4wd. It is rear wheel drive but it one slips a front wheel kicks in to make up for it. So you never really have 2wd. Some people like it some don't. If you don't like it, there is a mod to put in a switch to have 2wd. So do a search for it and it will come up.

Back