Looking to get back into an Explorer..Opinions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to get back into an Explorer..Opinions?

MadScotsMan

Reaction score
City, State
Westford, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Grand Vitara
Okay, if I can get rid of my Subaru, I am looking at the following vehicles and i would like opinions, pros/cons, what to look for etc.
#1 1998 Limited, 5.0, 63,000 miles AWD, Exceptional condition.
#2 2001 Sport, 4.0, 90,000, 4WD needs windshield and there's small hole in the front bumper cover.
The Sport is about $1700 cheaper than the Limited.

My concerns about the Limited are v-8 mileage and its AWD vs 4wd. I live in the boonies and it gets pretty rough from November-April (snow/mud season) and I will need go off-road on occasion.

Thoughts and/or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you are making it alright where you live in your subaru and its awd right? so i guess it would come down to whether you would like the extra room of a 4 door or the smaller size of a 2 door. and whether you would prefer the v8 over the v6. the 4.0 v6 motors arent very powerful at all if that makes a difference to you as well. good luck on your choice and post pics if you get one!

4.0L SOHC: 205HP
5.0L OHV: 215 HP

I would buy on size and access to the back seats. I've had both, and like the 4-door MUCH better than the Sport. Rides a little better, too.

Both engines will be about the same MPG. Their difference in MPG is well within personal driving style differences. I get better MPG out of my V8 than I got in any of my V6's.

The V8 will be a full time AWD, the V6 will have Auto, and high and low range if that matters. The V8 will have a bit of a beefier drivetrain. Either will be great in the snow.

Subaru

I love the 'ru but it is apparent that it is waaay too low for where I live. Plus, I am driving more to my dad's place which is pretty remote. That is why I am looking to change vehicles. If anyone know anybody who needs a Subaru, let me know! :D Thanks for the input.

SHAZAM! :D

lifted_subie__jpg_900x900_q100.jpg

I get better MPG out of my V8 than I got in any of my V6's.

Ive had a 92, two 95's (One 4 door, one sport), and my '00 Limited 5.0 AWD. The 5.0 gets better gas mileage out of all them.

I say go for the Limited. (Not only because I have one :p:), but because the 5.0 drivetrain is very durable compared to the 4.0.

I have a set of Firestone Destination A/T tires on mine, and with the AWD, they kick ass in the winter! I havent got stuck yet. Plus the 5.0 is just way cooler in general, and sounds better.

My '05 Leggy

Nice 'ru, zero ground clearance...
397785728.jpg

That is why I'm looking for a new one. Both the ones I was looking at are sold, so I'm still on the hunt.

Back