Looking to make my 94 XLT more off road friendly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to make my 94 XLT more off road friendly

sstewart777

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hi all!

My current primary vehicle is a 94 XLT and it will soon become my secondary vehicle. So, I would be using it just primarily for hunting and fishing in the Maine woods. If any of you could give me some reasonably priced ideas about getting more clearance, traction and power then I sure would apprciate it!

For example:

How big can the tires be? (It has 235/75 R15 now.)

Do I need to put on bigger rims, or will taller tires help?

What is needed to calibrate the spedo after bigger tires are put on?

Do the K & N air filters really help, or is that just an expensive filter like some other sites have said?

Do the cool air intakes with the fins in them that create a vortex really aid power and mileage?

Any other advice you would like to give?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all!

My current primary vehicle is a 94 XLT and it will soon become my secondary vehicle. So, I would be using it just primarily for hunting and fishing in the Maine woods. If any of you could give me some reasonably priced ideas about getting more clearance, traction and power then I sure would apprciate it!

For example:

How big can the tires be? (It has 235/75 R15 now.)

Stock height, you can fit 31" tires, check the link in my signature for a handy chart.
Do I need to put on bigger rims, or will taller tires help?
You don't need bigger rims, stock size work fine.
What is needed to calibrate the spedo after bigger tires are put on?
Depends on how big you go. If you put on 31's, it will read about 2mph high, so recalibration isn't really needed
Do the K & N air filters really help, or is that just an expensive filter like some other sites have said?
K&N Filters do help, but doing a complete intake will help even more
Do the cool air intakes with the fins in them that create a vortex really aid power and mileage?
If I know what you are talking about, the ones with fins are just gimics.
Any other advice you would like to give?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Scott
Remember that what type of tires you have makes a difference. If you give a small lift, it will also help out a fair amount.

If your truck has an oper rear diff, consider an aussie locker. It's a few hundred bucks, but a locker is well worth the dough. things that were previously impossible become a piece of cake! Even if you don't have huge lift.

Hi All!

Thanks for the info! I found the link for the tire size charts and found the 94 XLT will take up to 265/75 R15 and have a similar RPM as the current ones, so the speedo shouldn't be too far off. Close enough for government work, anyway! LOL

I looked at the ECM chip and that looks like a winner! I will get one and might recommend it to my dad, too. He has a big F250 super duty that he hauls his camper to FL and back every year. He says he gets 12mpg towing or not. Maybe this will help him get 14 or 15.

I looked at the aussie locker and, being an electronics guy rather than a mechanic, how do I find out what the Axle, OEM Axle, Axle Type, Splines types are? The website says that if I can do a brake job then I can install this.....ummm....maybe I should pray a lot first! LOL!!!

sstewart777, that's a good question as I've recently bought a '94 xlt and am looking to do the same thing you are. I'm new on here also...and also from Maine. I'm not sure if you're planning on making this rig road legal, but if you are, our state inspection will only allow you 31's I think (2 sizes over stock)and there is a frame height restriction so you can't go too big with your lift. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but it goes by the GVW of your vehicle. You can look it up online on the www.maine.gov website...search for inspection manual. Also if you're going to do it by the book you should have the speedo recalibrated, but I doubt anyone would bother about that.

My recipe so far is going to be 31's and the 2" coil spacer front/shackle rear lift and a welded rear end (since mine will only see limited road use). I'm also looking at some intake/exhaust mods but so far undecided. I've only had my explorer for a week and been poking around on here since then but the site seems excellent so far with lots of good info and people seem very friendly. Good luck with your build.

Hi All!

Thanks for the info! I found the link for the tire size charts and found the 94 XLT will take up to 265/75 R15 and have a similar RPM as the current ones, so the speedo shouldn't be too far off. Close enough for government work, anyway! LOL

I looked at the ECM chip and that looks like a winner! I will get one and might recommend it to my dad, too. He has a big F250 super duty that he hauls his camper to FL and back every year. He says he gets 12mpg towing or not. Maybe this will help him get 14 or 15.

I looked at the aussie locker and, being an electronics guy rather than a mechanic, how do I find out what the Axle, OEM Axle, Axle Type, Splines types are? The website says that if I can do a brake job then I can install this.....ummm....maybe I should pray a lot first! LOL!!!

What type of ecm "chip"? Got a link for it?

Hi Hilton850!

Thanks for the great info! I will need to keep it street legal because I usually travel a fair distance to hunt and fish. (Secret honey holes, top secret double probation for me if I tell anyone where! lol)

I think I will just try the taller tires for now. I'm not a mechanic so the lift kit will have to wait.

As far as an ECM chip 91explorereon37, I can't remember now because I looked at so many! I was looking on line at some of the ones other members have recommended and I have the one I liked bookmarked on a different computer. I'll try to remember to get the link tomorrow.

if they chip is under 50 bucks is mostly garbage and completely USELESS

there are SOME that do help you, they are alot

The first one is expensive but it kinda looks like a rip off and the second one isnt for your OHV engine

here is a link to my X it has 198,000 miles so it is good for mudding. i averave 14 MPG. it does well off road, the tires are 31X10.5. the best part is it was super cheep for how well it performs offroad.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=44316384

the coil spacers were $40 the shackels were $20 i got the shocks for $5 each. the tires i have on the front (chaparral A/P) I got for $97 each.

So Aprox. $400 for tires, $60 for a lift and the bumper i got for $20. Not Bad

Back