Looks Like My X is Getting Laid to Rest | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looks Like My X is Getting Laid to Rest

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
It is unbelievable! I had passed the 99EB to my daughter a couple months ago. It was well maintained and safe.

Daughter going to college class 3 nights ago and gets run into in intersection. Neither driver was hurt.

Adjuster came out and totaled the Explorer. Blue Book at dealer is $7000.00 they figured it was $5000.00 to fix and are offering me $5600.00 buy out.

There was slight damage to 1 Wheel and tire as well. The kicker was the Post between the Driver Door and the front fender it is what caused the excess expense.

Other car was a Honda CRV

Picture091.jpg

Picture095.jpg

Picture097.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Both of us are insured by same company. There has been no final decision on full responsibility. In Arizona there is a law called "Comparative Negligence". This is where somehow they determine the percentage of responsibility. 80/20, 70/30, 50/50.

Here is the big one... This happened in a Parking lot, 10mph speed limit, no stop signs and my daughter was in the middle of the intersection when hit. No police report, they do not respond to private property.

Sorry just venting! It will be very hard to find another car for her to drive in that price range that is safe and has been well taken care of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that, hopefully they find the other driver completely at fault which from the looks of things they should. Check around for other Explorers though, they are going for dirt cheap, at least where I live. If you want to fly on out to St. Louis you can give me that $5600 for mine :D...

Sniff. One less '99 EB. Sorry to hear.

tell them to fix it. its your car, if thats what you want you can make it happen. dosnt look that bad

Sorry about your explorer. On the bright side it did keep your daughter safe. Cars can be replaced, lives cannot.

fix it.

it's probably going to cost you less than $4000 to do so (just a guesstimate..).. just but the parts yourself and have a shop do the replace, paint and install. Plus you can get really cheap parts from junkyards since explorers can be found there almost every time. The step boards didnt seem damaged by the pic that you posted, i couldnt see the damage on the wheel/tire though.. it may take some time to source out parts but its gonna be worth it if you really want to keep this vehicle..

Goodluck!

ya only real hard part is replacing the a-piller

It's just a flesh wound...
Fix her up.

dude, i literally had the same damage done to my x. except high speed and the guy blew the red light and t boned me. thankfully my wheel was not damaged, but both doors and the pillar were totaled. it cost me 4 grand to fix, the explorer is a super safe vehicle. i guess we can both claim that now..

I agree with the fix it idea!! You might be able to replace it for the money, but you will not have the confidence of knowing the maintenance history of the replacement vehicle vs. yours. Your vehicle looks way to nice otherwise to let it go. :)

Damn, you don't see too many blue EBs in that year- it really looks sharp!! I was t-boned in my 92 by a dodge ram at 40 mph, and nobody was hurt. My damage was far worse and I ended up telling the insurance weasel that I wanted it fixed, not replaced. The autobody shop did a terrific job (find a good reputable one!!!!It makes all the difference) and you would have never known that it had been in a nasty accident.
I say fix it, those EBs are getting harder and harder to find!!!!
Most importantly, I'm glad to hear everyone was OK...I just would like to have seen what that CRV looked like after. :p:

Back