loose hose

Xeek

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
i was coming up from behind today and noticed a hose hanging down. went under the truck and the end thats plugged in is to the axle shaft housing.
no idea where its suppoed to go, doesnt seem to bother anything when running

DSCN1433.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's your breather valve hose, it should be attached as high as you can get it so water can't get into your axle durning water crossings. It looks like there is a clip on it for hooking it.

The clip hooks onto the shock crossmember.
Good to know, mine is ran up to the engine compartment. I had no idea where it actually clipped to.

I drilled a hole in the rear fender well and ran a longer piece of fuel line through the hole and sealed it up with RTV.

I drilled a hole in the rear fender well and ran a longer piece of fuel line through the hole and sealed it up with RTV.

Is that a good idea? Seems to me that oil and air gets hot in the 3rd member and has no place to vent to it'd wanna blow a seal out. But I dunno. Have to been running it that way long and no problems?

It shuld have a white check valve on the end. Unless you are crawling through lakes, it's fine where Ford put it originally.

Is that a good idea? Seems to me that oil and air gets hot in the 3rd member and has no place to vent to it'd wanna blow a seal out. But I dunno. Have to been running it that way long and no problems?

I did not seal up the end of the hose. Just around it so water would not get in around the hole I drilled. No problems. The vent comes out in the jack storage area. There was only one time gear oil got in there and that was when I was doing some really steep hills. No smells or anything like that either. Your diff really shouldn't be so full that it would get up that high anyway.

Back