Loss of Turbo Boost / Power on Acceleration / Whirl Sounds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loss of Turbo Boost / Power on Acceleration / Whirl Sounds

Enzo Chiapet

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hello all,

Scenario:
  • During a drive I started to hear a 'whistle' from engine compartment, drivers side floor board, and it was in response to my acceleration/deceleration on gas. At a stop, and in nuetral, this continued to happen. Always lower RPM (1K-2.5K).
  • After about 10 miles, in city driving, I started to hear 'popcorn' upon acceleration and noticed loss of power at acceleration.
  • I was <5 miles from a Ford Dealership and just prior to arrival after acceleration from a stoplight and lifting foot, I hear a distinct "whirl" deceleration.
  • Immediately suspecting issue with Turbo
Ford Service Assessment
  • Ford dealership had my Explorer for 2 days and claimed they could not replicate the issue.
  • They took it out 3 times because I told them to make sure the Explorer is warmed up.
Current
  • I picked up Explorer and immediately upon pulling out of their parking lot I could hear the "whirl" on both acceleration and deceleration at lower RPM
  • Further, immediately could tell a major loss of power at acceleration (I'd say easy 50% loss)
  • This tells me the turbo(s) are not providing boost, thus some type of failure
  • I drove 45 miles home, most interstate high speed, which was normal once I got up to speed.
  • I never heard the "popcorn" sound again.
I'm a shade tree mechanic and am going to try to identify issues today at home, however, need some expert advice from this group on what potentially could be going on.

Noted Upgrades:
  • I installed KN cold air intake approx 3 years ago and the venture 'swoosh' sound it makes around 2.5K RPM is not the sound that is new.
  • I installed Livernois 3-bar map sensor, plugs, and one of their ECU upgrade files about 2 years ago.
Thanks, Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing I always recommend is that when you take your vehicle to the dealer for certain issues that they can't seem to duplicate is, take a mechanic along for a test ride so that you can point out exactly what you are concerned about. You already know what to listen for and expect. The mechanic may not. It is also not too uncommon for a hose to the turbos to come lose.

Peter

Sounds to me like one of the inlet pipes blew off. Check all inlet hoses and make sure they are fully seated and secure.

Also, I agree with Peter. I had a dealer pull the 'cannot replicate' response on me for 2 issues. I went to the dealer and took the service advisor for a ride. Within 2 minutes, I could repeatedly replicate the issues. Once they knew how to replicate, they were able to resolve both issues.

Sometimes intermittent problems can be difficult, but it sounds like yours is very repeatable. Check the hoses I mention and if you still have the issue, make an appointment to take the advisor or tech for a ride.

Sounds to me like one of the inlet pipes blew off. Check all inlet hoses and make sure they are fully seated and secure.

Also, I agree with Peter. I had a dealer pull the 'cannot replicate' response on me for 2 issues. I went to the dealer and took the service advisor for a ride. Within 2 minutes, I could repeatedly replicate the issues. Once they knew how to replicate, they were able to resolve both issues.

Sometimes intermittent problems can be difficult, but it sounds like yours is very repeatable. Check the hoses I mention and if you still have the issue, make an appointment to take the advisor or tech for a ride.
I actually hooked up my Livernois controller this morning and it pulled code P0299, which is Turbo A boost issue.

Beyond the fact this thing has no acceleration power, which they should have felt during their 3 test drives, it further baffling they didn't even hookup to ECU to see any codes.

Seriously, this is a Ford Dealership with a service department...

Any other suggestions? I cringe at the idea of taking it back to the dealership.

Forgot, I checked everything I could and didn't find anything loose / disconnected.

P0299 is indicating Bank A underboost. Check the front turbo wastegate linkage. Also the inlet / outlet piping. Once u remove the air filter box its all very accessible right there. Check every clamp even if it looks tight.

Find a good independent mechanic.

P0299 is indicating Bank A underboost. Check the front turbo wastegate linkage. Also the inlet / outlet piping. Once u remove the air filter box its all very accessible right there. Check every clamp even if it looks tight.
Everything checked out fine... she started bellowing smoke out the exhaust, so I parked it.

That's the easy turbo to replace. The rear one is a different story. Goodluck
Couple more issues, yesterday when checking inlet hoses and taking some off I noticed heavy condensation buildup. Furthermore, took oil fill cap off and it's covered in milky tan layer. Leads me to believe potential head gasket leak... it's cold here though, in low 30s.

If you haven't gotten the engine up to full operating temp (like 30 minute drive), it's possible it's just condensation buildup.

I remember one time checking my wife's CX9 after a short drive and it's was milky under the oil cap. That engine has the same internal water pump, so I started to panic. I checked the dip stick and it looked fine. 99% sure it was just due to the short drive and not 'boiling off' the moisture. Didn't have any issues for many more miles on that engine.

What does the oil on the dip stick look like?

How's your coolant level in the overflow tank?

You could try checking the coolant for combustion gases to see if it might be a head gasket. I think you can borrow the kit from local auto parts stores.

But, the bank 1 under boost sounds like turbo or waste gate issue.

If you haven't gotten the engine up to full operating temp (like 30 minute drive), it's possible it's just condensation buildup.

I remember one time checking my wife's CX9 after a short drive and it's was milky under the oil cap. That engine has the same internal water pump, so I started to panic. I checked the dip stick and it looked fine. 99% sure it was just due to the short drive and not 'boiling off' the moisture. Didn't have any issues for many more miles on that engine.

What does the oil on the dip stick look like?

How's your coolant level in the overflow tank?

You could try checking the coolant for combustion gases to see if it might be a head gasket. I think you can borrow the kit from local auto parts stores.

But, the bank 1 under boost sounds like turbo or waste gate issue.
That makes sense... I've only been doing 2-4 minute drives. Oil looks good on dipstick and coolant level still within normal range.

You all noted the front turbo would be bank A, which was per the P0299 code, however is that 100% accurate? Meaning the 2nd turbo at the firewall is bank B and there would be a separate code if it was failing?

Thanks

That makes sense... I've only been doing 2-4 minute drives. Oil looks good on dipstick and coolant level still within normal range.

You all noted the front turbo would be bank A, which was per the P0299 code, however is that 100% accurate? Meaning the 2nd turbo at the firewall is bank B and there would be a separate code if it was failing?

Thanks
Hello all,

Scenario:
  • During a drive I started to hear a 'whistle' from engine compartment, drivers side floor board, and it was in response to my acceleration/deceleration on gas. At a stop, and in nuetral, this continued to happen. Always lower RPM (1K-2.5K).
  • After about 10 miles, in city driving, I started to hear 'popcorn' upon acceleration and noticed loss of power at acceleration.
  • I was <5 miles from a Ford Dealership and just prior to arrival after acceleration from a stoplight and lifting foot, I hear a distinct "whirl" deceleration.
  • Immediately suspecting issue with Turbo
Ford Service Assessment
  • Ford dealership had my Explorer for 2 days and claimed they could not replicate the issue.
  • They took it out 3 times because I told them to make sure the Explorer is warmed up.
Current
  • I picked up Explorer and immediately upon pulling out of their parking lot I could hear the "whirl" on both acceleration and deceleration at lower RPM
  • Further, immediately could tell a major loss of power at acceleration (I'd say easy 50% loss)
  • This tells me the turbo(s) are not providing boost, thus some type of failure
  • I drove 45 miles home, most interstate high speed, which was normal once I got up to speed.
  • I never heard the "popcorn" sound again.
I'm a shade tree mechanic and am going to try to identify issues today at home, however, need some expert advice from this group on what potentially could be going on.

Noted Upgrades:
  • I installed KN cold air intake approx 3 years ago and the venture 'swoosh' sound it makes around 2.5K RPM is not the sound that is new.
  • I installed Livernois 3-bar map sensor, plugs, and one of their ECU upgrade files about 2 years ago.
Thanks, Jon
Update for all.
$20K estimate from Ford for a full engine and turbo replacement.

I would have had to refrain from laughing very loudly after getting that estimate 😂

The new engine should come with new turbos if its a "full replacement" 3.5 GTDI (ecoboost) engine

What's broken with the current engine other than the p0299 code for under boost? This dealership doesn't sound like they actually troubleshoot anything. Did they even look at the turbo? Run a vacuum test?

I can fix it for less than 20k if that's what they're saying...

I would have had to refrain from laughing very loudly after getting that estimate 😂

The new engine should come with new turbos if its a "full replacement".

What's broken with the current engine? This dealership doesn't sound like they actually troubleshoot anything.
It's a long story, which I have an open case with Ford Customer Relations because I'm about 10K over the factory warranty. Had a turbo failure and upon diagnostics dealer claiming significant sludge build-up in engine and found the oil line for one of the turbos completely blocked. Yes, they are recommending complete engine (and both turbo) replacements with estimate at $20K.

While I'm waiting on the outcome of my request for Ford to accommodate me, I want to understand all my options which includes direct sourcing and replacing myself.

Thanks

I'll sell you a used engine with about 110k miles on it and throw in a whole 2014 Explorer Sport to go with it for $20k. Running, driving. LoL - that's a joke because as mguy13sport said, $20k for a new engine and turbos is wayyyyyy out in left field.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back