• Register Today It's free!

Loud Knocking Noise

ADonato

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
I have had my 2003 Explorer for the past year and a few months and have had a knocking noise from time to time when I start the engine. It was very light at first and barely noticable until this winter when it got a bit louder. At that time it would go away fairly quickly tho (10-20 secs). Now this summer it has been knocking much louder and continues to knock for a minute or up to 5 mins. I took it by a Ford dealer just to get a quick opinion to see if it was anything that needed attention and they said it was my lifters and that this happens with Explorers as you put mileage on them. Mine has over 100,000 miles. They told me if I thickened my oil from the recommended 5W-20 to a 10W or 20W that it would stop the knocking noise. I changed it to 20W-50 and it completely stopped for a few days but the knocking noise is back now and actually probably worse. It is now very loud and stays for a long time. I have been told everything from it's my lifters to my head gasket. Can anyone give me some info or ideas on what to do to see what it is for sure?
Also, I have two sounds clips but can't figure out how to upload them if anyone can help.

Also, I have a sound clip of what it sounds like but don't know how to upload it if anyone can help me with how to post it. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Back