• Register Today It's free!

Love My Sport!

BlindFaith429

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Escape Sport
So last night I did a little overhaul on my '99 Explorer Sport. New brakes (all 4 corners), new wheel bearings for the front, new shocks (all 4 corners) and replaced the sway-bar links just cause.

Front brakes were gone, rotors warped and grooved. Back brakes were shot too and the emergency brake didn't work. Found out the old shoes were destroyed, looked like someone drove it with the E-Brake on.

Anyways, the thing is a whole new vehicle. I liked it before, but with the new shocks and new brakes, it's so much better.

I honestly bought this for a daily commuter / beater, and was going to sell it in about a year once my Escape was paid off (wife drives the Escape), but I really think I am going to drive it into the ground.

Yeah, she's not the prettiest. Has the typical Ford rocker rust, and has 170k on it, but it does everything I need, PLUS it's fun to drive. Yeah, the 5-speed stick can be a bit of a pain, but it doesn't bother me.

The only thing I have left to figure out now is the back window wiper. Doesn't work when I turn it on lol. But just gotta do it little by little.

Anyways, just wanted to tell somebody lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to hear you're liking explorers! They can be great vehicles with some patience and TLC. Many people on this forum have gotten their explorers well over 200k.

All you need now is new shocks and new tyres and you never sell it.

All you need now is new shocks and new tyres and you never sell it.

I just did shocks lol. They were the factory ones on there with 170k on them. Rode like crap. Much better now with the fresh ones.

HILLBILLY IT ! Tie a string to the wiper blade and just pull when you need to use it , then drive her till the wheels fall off !!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Even when the rear wipers work, they don't work well at all. There are a few tricks to improve glass coverage though.

I've found the only fix that has worked for me was to cut the stops on the arm with a Dremel cutting wheel. I find that cutting off about 1/8 inch allows the blade to make near full contact with the galss. Others have reported replacing the OE arm with a Dorman arm, but you're right. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Back