Low-Beam Question

jmp883

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone can help me here. I have a factory-stock 1996 Explorer XLT. Since the day my father bought it new in 1996 it has 1 annoying problem that several Ford dealers and private mechanics in Omaha, NE couldn't figure out. I got the XLT in 2007 and several Ford dealers and private mechanics here in northern NJ couldn't help either.

When I have my low beams on I constantly get flashed by oncoming traffic as if my high beams are on. My high beams work just fine, and I get just as many flashes when I leave them on. You can see the difference in the pattern when you switch between low and high. The bulbs are all factory-spec, as are the tires and the suspension. The dealers and mechanics in both states have aimed the headlights properly. The headlight lenses are in good shape.

I'm at a loss.........other Explorer owners I know tell me they've never had this problem.

Thanking you all in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a quick-and-dirty way to check the headlight aim is to find a flat parking lot and a cement wall at night (the rear of a grocery store works well). measure the distance between the headlight center and the ground and center from left to right headlight. now get yourself 25 feet from the cement wall and turn on your headlights. the center of the low beam should drop about 2 inches from your initial height measurement at 25'. the center-to-center measurement should be about the same and slightly to the right. this isn't scientific, but should let you know if you headlight aim is close to what it should be. the only way to set them 100% is to go to a shop that has a computerized headlight aiming machine.

If I where you I would adjust them down slightly. I know I got flashed all the time when I first had my Hella put on. After adjusting them down to the same level of the headlights I have not had any issues with blinding people.

Thanks for your great reply Koda, but everything you suggested has already been done, with negative results. :(

1996BLKBAUER, the way I read your reply it sounds like you're recommending that I slightly lower the aim on my aftermarket lights to match the low-beam headlights. I don't have any aftermarket lights at all, just the factory driving/fog lights (which I never use anyway). I do appreciate that you took the time to read and answer my post, though.

I think that I will slightly lower the aim of the headlights, it can't hurt.

Thanks again to all!

Sorry, I meant for you to lower your headlights, I had the same situation with my off road lights is what I was trying to say.

Back