• Register Today It's free!

Low profile sub

Uafan

Reaction score
City, State
Whippany, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
Okay, so for my next mod I want bass, I'm not a fan of a giant box in the trunk. I want something subtle, and out of the way, so probably a 8" or 10". I was looking around eBay and saw MTX THUNDERFORM CUSTOM FORD EXPLORER SUB BOX W/ 10" NEW but its only for 1991-2001. Anyone know of a similar box for a 2004? I can't have the box under the rear seat because they fold down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I need a box. Or some other type of enclosure that's low profile.

I don't believe any company has made one yet, I think a custom box is the only option at this time. Maybe upgrade stock sub?

jl audio makes one. its called the stealthbox. its very expensive for what you get. i just made my own to pretty much the same specs as the stealthbox. here is a pic.

Attachments

• Finished Box.jpg
    Finished Box.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,976

Dumb question, where is the stock sub located. I'm assuming the amp is in the stock headunit?

actually pioneer makes a low profile sub. its about 3.5" deep, and the box requirements are relativly small. I dont remember the exact model number but i do believe that it is on pioneers website.

also im not 100% sure but i do think mtx makes one too.

BTW the power handeling on these subs are about 300 rms and 500-600 peak.

I had seen something about those subs about a year ago, and I remembered it had said expected release date 3rd quarter 2007. They look pretty sweet

Those JL's look nice...except their price range is 300+ dollars above anything else mentioned in this thread

jl is over rated if you ask me..... plus your not gonna get a ton of bass out of those subs, so i think your better off and save the money and get one of those pioneers or mtxs as i was refering to above.

No one answered my second question yet..

The factory sub should be behind the rear passenger side panel I think...I'm not sure about new explorers. The amp in my 98 explorer is behind the same rear passenger panel

jl is over rated if you ask me..... plus your not gonna get a ton of bass out of those subs, so i think your better off and save the money and get one of those pioneers or mtxs as i was refering to above.

Care to explain why, or are you just hating on JL 'cuz it's the cool thing to do? The JL's are the best shallow sub built so far (yes, I've played with one of the prototypes), and I've spent time with a LOT of them, probably a dozen or so that aren't even listed. As far as the best ones currently available for purchase, the Lorentz Audio and the Kenwood have been the better ones.

Back