• Register Today It's free!

Low rough idle stalling

Medic0864

Reaction score
City, State
Aberdeen SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford explorer
Hello all, I have a 1995 ford explorer with the 4.0, recently it started to rough idle and stall while sitting the rpms will dump out and start rough idling and trying to stall just changed fuel filter and still not better, runs great when moving any ideas just started in the last 2 wks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you cleaned the IAC idle air controll valve? Can of throttle body cleaner and 10 min is all it takes. Shoot what's left of the can in the throttle body. If it's never been cleaned take it off and clean the backside of the plate as well.

Could be another issue by this corrected my idle issues and it takes less than an hour if it's your first time doing it.

^What he said, my 01 with the SOHC was doing that, pulled a spare IAC and cleaned it, installed, problem solved, idles great. What mine would do is try to idle down and then slow down to a stop as it ran out of air.

Any codes or check engine light?

Ok found problem it was a vacuum leak in the Egr inlet tube patched leak idles good but doesn't have high the high idle now when it starts any suggestions

Have you cleaned the IAC idle air controll valve? Can of throttle body cleaner and 10 min is all it takes. Shoot what's left of the can in the throttle body. If it's never been cleaned take it off and clean the backside of the plate as well.

Could be another issue by this corrected my idle issues and it takes less than an hour if it's your first time doing it.
Could also be dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor. Make sure you use MAF Cleaner and nothing else!

Back