LOW Speed rollong to a stop ABS issue. Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LOW Speed rollong to a stop ABS issue. Help!

George W

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4X4
No ABS lights on in the dash startup self tes showes ABS light is working... Heres the issue...

I have a slow speed ABS issue when slowing to a stop and hit about 5 MPH My ABS kicks in the peddle ratchets down and I apply more brake to get to a stop.. ABS feels like it's working as it should except comes in play at low speed for no reason dry clean paved roads bellow 5 MPH or so.. Tires all the same size and aired to 29psi , wear is even.. I just installed new front rotors and new brake pads with slides and anti rattle kit.. stil have same issue.. Bled brakes all the way around to flush the system used 1qt of Dot 3 fluid.. still same issue.. I was talking to a guy in the parts store.. said he went threw the same thing last week and it was a front ABS sensor..

Is there a way I can tell if it's the left or right front sensor? It's a 4X4 and is a real pain to install a new one just to swap it out in the other side if I didn't guess right the first time.. Cold weather is setting in and I need to do this ASAP as I'm working outside.. Thanks for your help! I have a Ford work shop manual.. I don't have a brake out box or ABS scan tool... I have a volt metter.. George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just went through this. Mine finally threw the ABS light on and then the ABS did not engage at all. So, I took the brakes off, took the rotor, and the rotor shield off. Pull the ABS sensor out, use a screwdriver or chisel and knock off any slag that has grown underneath the flat of the sensor, and there may be some gunk on the flat of the underneath of the sensor itself. I then took a flat file and trued the surface up the best I could. Reassembled, and voila, works perfect. There is a post on here somewhere regarding this, and it states the issue occurs due to the distance between the sensor and geared wheel in the hub. If this doesnt work, then explore other options. This is the cheapest and in all likelihood will correct it.

shooked <///><

shooked ,

Thank you so much!! I'll give your fix a try.. I know my sensor is working fine above 5MPH as my ABS works just fine in a hard stop from 40 or 50MPH or so..I think it's one of the front ones, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll just have to guess what side to try first.. I do have a Actron AutoScanner Plus #CP9580 It"s still in the box and just came today.. I got it at advanced Auto online.. Free Shipping 15% off the $229.99 price and another $50 bucks off of that so to the door it was $149.99 it does say it has live scan but I don't know if that is for ABS or just the OBDII side.. In any case it does do both so it's one of the few that will.. I think I'm going to give your fix a try without even hooking the scanner up.. The way I look at it is, your fix works and the scanner was free.. I'll end up using the scanner to help find the issue . In any case I think it could very well be one of the best tools in my tool box, I was forced to get.. Thank you so much for your help and I'm betting you hit the nail right on the head for me.. I'm post how I make out.. It may take me a few day to get to it as I have other stuff to do first.. Thanks again!!!!! George

same issue

2001 Explorer Sport 4x4, having the same issues. Except for that the abs kicks in at any number of different speeds. Sometimes it kicks on, and sometimes it doesn't, under normal(not heavy\hard) braking.
No scanner tool here at all, but also no cluster lights coming on at all. Just changed front passenger caliper, and bled the brakes last week, and then again tonight and still experiencing this issue. I'm hoping this fix posted above will help fix this crap. Snows setting in soon here and I don't want to deal w\ this crap during the winter time especially.

advance auto read my abs codes for free .call around your local parts stores and see who can read them for you .

shooked,

No joy yet for me.. Took the drivers side off based on braking with hands off the wheel on a few low speed stops.. truck pulls to the right with heavy ABS activity below 5 MPH.. I took everything apart again and when I got to removing the ABS sensor it broke off at the top exposing the coil inside.. The lowender end of the sensor was clean ,with no build up at all. i think rust set in at the upper most part of the sensor hole and maybe crushed it enough to let in some grease and I top that messed up the sensor coil maybe changing the air gap too.. In any case Napa should have one for me tomorrow.. I went for the sensor alown for $119 . they also had a unit bearing and sensor for less money $112 but I know of the uncanny history of cheap unit bearing so I decided against it.. it also had a spacer in the installed sensor on the Napa combo part I'll post how I make out,. George

Joe, I called a few Advanced auto stores in NH and Maine and they both said there scanner can read ABS but they could not read it for me as it was against state law.. So they would not do it.. Go figure!! I did get the scanner that will do both "Actron AutoScanner Plus #CP9580" but have not used it yet.. I will if the new sensor don't fix my issue.. Not sure it will show anything because I have no ABS light on in the cab.. George

You broke the sensor off? Dang. Thats something I would have happen. Now whats this being against the law for scanning codes?

I need to get an OBDII scanner, well I'd like one, but I dont really need one. Advanced Auto has been having some great deals with the coupon codes. I found one posted on here where you type in VISA and it will knock $50 off $150 order, $30 off $100 and another lower price break as well. Ive been replacing the suspension components and all fluids with royal purple synthetics.

shooked,
As far as they said it was just the ABS scanners they can't do.. Yep that's the deal I go online.. ended up to be $149.00 to the door and can read and reset OBDII and ABS.. If I remember right they are not going to have the sale for long so if it's something you want I think you will have a need for it sooner or later. may be something to get yourself while it's on sale at a known vendor with a great rep. Yep synthetics are a good thing. I replaced all mine fluids when we got the truck. That was at 116,000 miles and now at about 125,000 all is good, don't burn a drop of oil in 4000 miles. The front and rear diffs. were some murky looking.. George

Update! Drivers side ABS sensor replaced with Napa sensor ( a little different sensor was a little smaller all the way around but a dash higher, it had one less mounting tab on the wire and had a little longer wire connection) But all is good! ABS issue fixed.. Oh ya also, with the Advanved Auto scannner. Actron AutoScanner Plus #CP9580 with the deal mentioned it also comes with a e mail address to recive $50 off your next online purchase on parts on a order of $75 bucks or more.. So that not to bad all and all.. Kinda brings the price of the scanner to $100 bucks.. I'll post when I try out the scanner. I didn't have a ABS light on but if there was a code it should remain in the system for 50 starts with out ABS issues.. so I have some time to try it out..

Any one with this scanner that has tips please feel free to post them for me as I never used one before.. Thak you all for your help!! George:thumbsup:

DrinkingWhiskey , Just for the heck of it connect and disconnect the ABS conection on each front sensor. Sensor connection is ahead of front wheel under bumper. put some cleaner in the conector too.. Your issue may be a easy as this. Good luck! George

DrinkingWhiskey , Just for the heck of it connect and disconnect the ABS conection on each front sensor. Sensor connection is ahead of front wheel under bumper. put some cleaner in the conector too.. Your issue may be a easy as this. Good luck! George

Ok, thanks for this...I'll try it out this weekend. Be nice if that was all there was to it.

So what do you do exactly? I've had the same problem, but I just pulled the fuse for the abs system, and I've just been driving extra cautiously. Is there a way to tell which side it is without guessing? Can I disconnect one sensor, and see if the problem goes away or not to diagnose one sensor at a time? 2001 4x4 sport trac.

rokr1292,
So you ask this after I lost my transmission! LOL!! Ya after doing all the work on the front brakes getting them 100% perfect New ABS sensor, rotors,pads,caliper parts kits and and after doing a few other unrelated things to the truck at the cost of over $500 bucks I lose my automatic transmission! Everything else is great including the body and she don't burn a drop of oil!!! What's a guy to do.. Away here's how I tracked it down. I had a scanner but it didn't show a code. I think because I had no ABS light on.. If I was you I would put your fuse back in make sure everything else is hooked up if you pulled your sensor wires.. Give it a little drive and go somplace safe with a flat paved service. Start you braking as you would normally and when you get down to about 10mph take you hands off the steering wheel and see if it pulls one way or the other by the time you get to a full stop.. If it's a front ABS sensor doing the same thing as mine it should pull .. Just replace the front sensor opposite the way it pulls.. if you get the same rolling stop and the steering wheel don't pull with your hands off it then it's your rear ABS sensor.. if this is the case it's the cheaper of them all about $20 bucks in Napa.. Mine was a front and it was $129 from Napa.. OK one other thing.. If you get a front sensor you have a option of getting a new ABS sensor and unit bearing at a littel less money.. I opted just for the sensor because the new napa unit bearing don't last, I know a a few that only lasted a few months and the sensor that comes with them is proprietary to that new unit bearing. It has spacers! Napa guy told me he went through all this on his truck and you can't swap out the new sensors to your old unit bearing..
( I know Ford may not call them unit bearings) but I'm also a Jeep guy and they do so that's the name I'm going by.. hope this helps .. Post how you make out..George

so i finally got around to replacing the "faulty" abs sensor. since my truck would pull hard to the left before, i replaced the right sensor, because i had been told everywhere i asked that its usually the sensor opposite the direction it pulls. when i removed the old one it broke, exposing the wire coil and making it un-salvageable. got the new one in and everything put back together, i put a new 10A fuse in the ABS fuse spot, and took it for a test drive. first time i come to a complete stop, i get closer than i use to before abs kicks in, but it did still kick in and pulled slightly to the right this time. i figure, well maybe both sensors were bad and the right one was just worse. pulled the fuse out again to drive home. go to make a left turn into my driveway again, and the steering wheel is shaking like crazy in my hands. like, BAD. im gonna go in a little bit and see if i can figure it out, after i order another sensor, but i figured id leave a post here in case anyone has any ideas as to if theres something else wrong im ignoring.

My rotors were gone too.. they had looked like new the outside but when I took them off they had so much rust on the inside that the inner brake pads were worn out sideways rotors filled with rust pushing out from the inside of them.. Yea I had the same ABS issue as you.. Only I had installed my rotors first then pads then my left front sensor because it was pulling wright.. All was fine. a few months later I lost a rear brake line replaced it and flushed the break fluid.. Brakes were way better then new.. 1 month lost auto tranny cooling line.. pulled into part store packed line with a small piece of rubber and hose clamp used Napa brand Mercon V fill her up.. go home fixed cooler lines filled wit nape Mercon V fluid.. lost tranny 3 months later flashing over drive light then sluggish going into reverse then while backing in it would bang out of "R" then go back in with a bang.. till I had no reveres.. Truck still has forward pulls strong but no reverse though it attempts to go in to "R' when gear shift selector ****es into it you can feel it and hear it try but it don't go.. What a bummer.. Picked up a Toyota Wife wants ford out of here. body is great no rust at all under side is surface rust but no holes.. Fully loaded power everything extra cap V6 ton-tow cover on bed too. Everything but the tranny is good and strong needs wash but it's a extra clean truck.. Now if only I can kick myself to look at the tranny.. Maybe it's something easy! O ring, pick up? Goog luck with yours ..Will never buy a Ford with the auto tranny again.Many with the same issues all over the net. George

Ever get it fixed?

so i finally got around to replacing the "faulty" abs sensor. since my truck would pull hard to the left before, i replaced the right sensor, because i had been told everywhere i asked that its usually the sensor opposite the direction it pulls. when i removed the old one it broke, exposing the wire coil and making it un-salvageable. got the new one in and everything put back together, i put a new 10A fuse in the ABS fuse spot, and took it for a test drive. first time i come to a complete stop, i get closer than i use to before abs kicks in, but it did still kick in and pulled slightly to the right this time. i figure, well maybe both sensors were bad and the right one was just worse. pulled the fuse out again to drive home. go to make a left turn into my driveway again, and the steering wheel is shaking like crazy in my hands. like, BAD. im gonna go in a little bit and see if i can figure it out, after i order another sensor, but i figured id leave a post here in case anyone has any ideas as to if theres something else wrong im ignoring.

Did you ever figure out your problem? I have a 2000 model RWD but it was doing the same thing. No ABS light, but Autozone pulled a code that said no communication with fron right sensor. I put the new one on but it made no difference. I disconnected the sensor and everything is great as far as braking, except now there's an ABS light on.

Here's where it gets weird though. Just for the heck of it, I reconnected the right sensor and unplugged the left. ABS light back on of course but no issues braking. I'm guessing there's some kind of disagreement between the sensors if both are plugged in?? Any suggestions would be awesome.

My 98 did this slow speed abs shudder, replaced hubs all was good the sensor in the hub was shot tho the cable looked good

Just for support to previous posts in this thread - I had the same issue with my 01 Mountaineer - very low speed ABS kick on, when almost stopped. I had replaced the passenger side hub a couple of months ago, I had tire noise that I thought was bearing noise so I thought it was likely the ABS problem too, but it didn't fix either the noise or the ABS issue!! (new tires fixed the noise). At the time, both bearings seemed OK, no wheel movement at all when off the ground, the usual sign of a bad bearing. On a previous vehicle I had, a GMC Yukon, the ABS problem didn't start until the hubs were pretty much toast, and the wheels felt almost loose there was so much bearing movement. So I assumed with this Ford that the the bearings were fine and couldn't be the ABS issue....I even replaced the rear ABS sensor because I figured the fronts had to be OK. (didn't fix the problem)

Anyway, the last few days my wife was driving the old Merc (she refuses to drive the nice 2013 Chevy truck that just sits in the driveway) and she started complaining about the ABS kicking on (I just lived with it - truck always stopped....) so I replaced the driver's side hub bearing today. Problem went away! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update on this one. I fixed the low speed problem by changing the drivers side hub bearing, but about 1 month later my ABS light started coming on randomly. Sometimes as soon as I started the truck, sometimes backing out of the garage, sometimes after 30 miles driving. Friend of mine has a scanner that picks up ABS codes, it was front left sensor not reading or shorted.

When I changed the hub to fix the low speed ABS problem I had bought the cheap version from Autozone. To see if it really was the problem, I took it off and put the old hub back on. Immediately, the ABS light problem went away, but the low speed ABS activating problem came back. Autozone accepted the hub back, and gave me 10% off the more expensive Timken hub.

Problem solved again. Moral of the story is don't buy the cheap hub bearings. On the upside I am getting really fast at changing them out!!

Back