• Register Today It's free!

lower control arm bushings

justinf89

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 xlt 4x4
I'm debating on changing just the ball joint on the lower control arms or the whole thing, bushings and all. Is there an easy way to check these bushings to see if I need to change the whole arm? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No thoughts?

No thoughts or ideas?

FWIW, everything I have read here indicates that the lower CA bushings never really fail. Not sure what a suitable test is. If you don't want the doubt, go for the whole lower CA - does not add that much more $$ to the job.

BK

FWIW, everything I have read here indicates that the lower CA bushings never really fail. Not sure what a suitable test is. If you don't want the doubt, go for the whole lower CA - does not add that much more $$ to the job.

BK

Maybe I'll just look to see if they look cracked. I would have to remove the torsion bar through the lower control arm to get them off. I may just do the ball joints. Thanks.

well I've replaced UCAs, Lower ball joints, sway bar bushings and links and I still get a creaking when turning slow so I'm guessing that the only thing that could be still making noise are the lower control arm bushings

ive also replaced uca's, all ball joints and all bushings except lca bushing they look a little squished out of shape but it rides like a brand new truck real tight.
also modded my sway bar links so the bushings dont rip over the washers. not sure if others had any problems with that. oh yeah 204454 miles on the lca bushings.

Look and see if they are cracked or even the rubber missing. Yes they do go bad just like any other part. I have to change mine,they are making noise when driving. Just came across this post. Update if youve changed them and any tips, greatly appriciated.

Back