Lower door hinge. removing inside plastic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower door hinge. removing inside plastic

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
I Bought new Bushings and did the Upper hinge over a year. Did it with the hinge attached to the body. The lower hinge is getting bad. This time I want to take the Hinge off te body. How do I get the plastic kick panel off? That one Button on it, does that just pull out? What's the chances it will break?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the door sill, pry out that 1 button, remove the 1 screw up by the top of the kick panel at the door. It should slide out from the upper trim & come off easily.

THX!
easy enough

Done, easy, thanks, That was Saturday.

Read Under the Hood and Driveline for Sunday's woes "Trani 4LD question with a story".

Be glad it wasnt the upper hinge. Those suck to change on the explorer. Glad to hear you solved that problem

I did the Upper last year. You can do it on the car. No need to take the Hinge assembly out to replace the Pin and Bushings.
The bottom one was so-so, but it bothered me the other day so I said, Just do it.
I could have done that one on the car too but I figured it was easy enough to pull out so I did it that way.
Closes nice, Pinstripes line up with the back door again.

OH ok. I just figured you were replacing them. I have taken the upper out on a couple explorers now. Its no fun

I am attempting to remove the upper hinge to replace the pin

Rookie,

You say that you have replaced the upper hinge on a few explorers, I have a 1994 explorer with lots of play in the upper hinge, any suggestions on replacing the pin and bushing?

Thanks

Danno

I just replace the whole hinge. If you search you can find tips on re pinning them.

Back