lower front splash guard | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lower front splash guard

Hmm...I give the WD40 a try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The valance panels typically provide three different purposes, which vary with teh vehicle application:

1 - Hide ugly suspension pieces-parts so the wife or non-automotice types don't get apoplectic when looking at the car on the dealer's lot (e.g. "honey, what is all that ugly mechanical stuff showing down there", kind of like all these fru-fru underhood engine covers so popular these days).

2 - Smooth the airflow going under the car for better gas mileage and improved high speed stability (true, but the one on the Ex would not seem to make much difference; however, look at the underbody on a true exotic car - smooth as a baby's bottom). This, in addition to option #3 below, is what the one on my C6 Corvette does.

3 - Direct flow to the radiator, or better said, to prevent air bypassing the radiator, sometimes by creating a high pressure area directly in front of the area just behind the grill. Again, I am doubting that the one of the Ex could possibly do much for this, but I an no aerodynamicist. This is what the one on my old Volvo brick actually does.

Can you take it off without impact on an Ex - I'd bet money on it.

Hmm...I give the WD40 a try.

Did the WD40 this morning on top and bottom. Let it soak in for about 2.5 hours. When I got home I got out the ratchet set and tried it again. Got each bolt to turn about 1/2 a full rotation. Then when back to the passenger side and tried it again and broke the bolt right in half. Tried the driver side and that bolt busted too. Not sure if it was from the rust or what?

I did notice though, that the bolt had an attached washer on the lower side. The upper bolt, between the lower bumper and the valence guard, there was a square piece (maybe a thin nut) locked onto the bolt, and then on the upper side, lower lip of the bumper there was another one on brace that held the lower bumper piece and valence in place. Going to have to drill the rest of that bolt out and get some new bolts in there to hold the lower bumper cover in place.

Oops. lol

Dang, I'd say they were rusted.

Dang, I'd say they were rusted.

Going to drill the rest of the old bolts out and put some new bolts in there. Every project leads to another small project. :D

I agree with easyrhino I'd say that it's probabilly the first option cause I don't see how it would direct flow to the raidiator (cause it's so far from the raidiator) and the underneath of an ex isn't exactly smooth so I don't see how it could affect aerodynamics.

I agree with easyrhino I'd say that it's probabilly the first option cause I don't see how it would direct flow to the raidiator (cause it's so far from the raidiator) and the underneath of an ex isn't exactly smooth so I don't see how it could affect aerodynamics.

Same as what I was thinking, and actually, there is another large plastic/rubber piece under the radiator that looks like it blocks a lot of under vehicle air flow. Plus, so many people have theirs all beaten up and bent, what's the difference if it is on or off. It looks 100% better not having it on there.

When I put my brush guard on, I cut the air dam into 3 sections and re-installed it. The first snow storm I ripped 2 of the 3 pieces off plowing through snow ruts, so I just took the last one off. Haven't noticed any difference in mileage without it and over 50k miles later it has had no negative effects on my Explorer.

When I put my brush guard on, I cut the air dam into 3 sections and re-installed it. The first snow storm I ripped 2 of the 3 pieces off plowing through snow ruts, so I just took the last one off. Haven't noticed any difference in mileage without it and over 50k miles later it has had no negative effects on my Explorer.

All it (air dam) really is, and this has been said, is for looks. No one wants to see all that "ugly" stuff underneath the truck. I honestly don't care how good-looking the underside looks. Everyone these days are worrying about how "pretty" the car looks and I think a car is better if it works good and is mechanically good, not all looks

All it (air dam) really is, and this has been said, is for looks. No one wants to see all that "ugly" stuff underneath the truck. I honestly don't care how good-looking the underside looks. Everyone these days are worrying about how "pretty" the car looks and I think a car is better if it works good and is mechanically good, not all looks

Exactly, if the car looks pretty and runs good then fine, if the car looks like **** and runs good then fine, but if a car looks amazing and doesn't run...well then what good is that pretty exterior?

Back