2017 explorer sport front skid plate/splash guard? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 explorer sport front skid plate/splash guard?

relentless85

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Does the 2017 ford explorer sport 3.5L eco boost have a skid plate or splash guard under the front bottom of the engine/frame installed from the factory?

I know they have a duct installed on the passenger side bottom of the engine to allow for air flow to the PTU but I’m talking about one that would be bolted to front bottom of the radiator support then attached to the frame under the front part of the engine.

I am needing to see if I am missing this part and if I need to install one for the 3.5 eco boost. Maybe just the 3.5NA engines have this splash guard / skid plate?

I found this parts diagram and the orange circled parts are the parts I’m talking about.

IMG_0504.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the steel skid plate found on PIU's (if equipped). Can't say I've seen it on any of the other trim levels.

We have a bought new 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer and it did not come with the shield under the engine. It's wide open underneath. Being the 4 cylinder the PTU doesn't get as hot as the 6 cylinder. After 25,000 miles the PTU oil looks new and the magnet is almost totally clean. I've been using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140

I changed the ptu fluid cause the vehicle has almost 30k miles on it. I used and oil severe gear 75w-140 also. I also drained and refilled the transmission with Mercon LV.

Im just wondering if I am supposed to have this skid plate/splash guard. I wonder if it negatively or positively affects the air flow going through the ac condenser, radiator and intercooler.

I also have a 2008 explorer and I found out that it was missing a splash guard under the engine near the radiator and fan area, once I installed it, the ac was cooler due to the air flow being affected.

If you look up the part number it is close to 30lbs which leads me to believe it is the steel skid plate from the PIU like I mentioned a few posts back. It's not a splash guard/air scoop for the PTU. It's called (Deflector plate) on my window sticker and is a $335 police option. As far as it helping or hindering airflow to the PTU I'd imagine it doesn't hurt, as it kind of routes air from the grill farther back before allowing it to escape downwards to the road surface. Youd have to account for the added weight/cost to decide if adding it is worth it for you. If I had a Sport I would look into the plastic air scoop that is held on by a few wing nuts.

FB5Z-7810494-A​

1692874059994.png

If you look up the part number it is close to 30lbs which leads me to believe it is the steel skid plate from the PIU like I mentioned a few posts back. It's not a splash guard/air scoop for the PTU. It's called (Deflector plate) on my window sticker and is a $335 police option. As far as it helping or hindering airflow to the PTU I'd imagine it doesn't hurt, as it kind of routes air from the grill farther back before allowing it to escape downwards to the road surface. Youd have to account for the added weight/cost to decide if adding it is worth it for you. If I had a Sport I would look into the plastic air scoop that is held on by a few wing nuts.

That air duct is standard on the 5th gen Explorers that have the factory towing package and also on those with the Ecoboost engine. Those with that feature have a cutout in the front bumper assembly.

Peter

Good bit of info Peter, it seems like many of these ducts go missing when the trucks are serviced at dealers and independent shops. They get removed and never re-installed. Point stands, I think this is what OP is looking for function wise. I'd be surprised if the deflector plate was standard on the Sport, let alone any trim as it's an option on the PIU.

I have the part that 16PIU posted. I have the factory tow package. That is used to deflect air back to the PTU and yes there is a rectangle cut out on the bottom front passenger side of the lower bumper to allow air to get to that “deflector duct”.

I am just trying to see if there is an additional plastic splash guard or skid plate that is supposed to be under the front part of the engine between the radiator support and the frame to help deflect air from the radiator fans. I need to know if that splash guard is factory installed, if it was an additional option or if I don’t need it.

Someone said that splash guard was for 2.3 ecoboost, 3.5 ecoboost and 3.7 engines.

Reason I am asking about this splash guard is for airflow. I need to make sure the correct amount of air is being pulled thru the ac condenser and radiator.. my theory is that if that splash guard that appears to go between bottom radiator support and the frame is missing from my vehicle, the radiator fans may be pulling air from the easiest path possible and not getting the maximum amount pulled from the front thru radiator and condenser. Thus would affect the ac cooling properly and cooling of the engine.

Back