• Register Today It's free!

lowered on 22s?

aimisgoop

Reaction score
City, State
clearwater, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
i have a 2000 mountaineer on 22s, its stock height and id REALLY like to lower it like 3" up front and 2.5" in the rear...but i duno if the 22s will rub even more then they already do...they tire dimensions r 265-40-22. any help would be much appreciated.
-dan

BTW- i heard removing the torsion bar or somethin can automatically lower my truck a decent amount...is this true? if so how does it affect the ride and whatnot, also, how would one go about removing it..is there any tips u can give me? thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search my friend and above all do NOT remove your torsion bars

aimisgoop said:
how would one go about removing it..is there any tips u can give me?
Just un-bolt each side.

I don't think there's a 2.5" block. You would have to either go with 2" or 3".

You will rub horribly, and that's a guarentee. With stock suspension, lowering blocks, removed torsion bolts AND 22s, you're asking for it big time. At least you have 40 profile tires (med) to keep the ride quality somewhat sufficient.

You're not going to get that much lowering out of it unless you plan on doing some fender well cutting.

Nah it isn't that bad. If you don't rub at stock height, there won't be much of a difference when you're lowered. It's actually less of a problem with 22s because the diameter is large enough to clear most suspension parts.

The only thing that will suffer is ride quality. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary to worry about.

Hartman said:
Nah it isn't that bad. If you don't rub at stock height, there won't be much of a difference when you're lowered. It's actually less of a problem with 22s because the diameter is large enough to clear most suspension parts.

The only thing that will suffer is ride quality. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary to worry about.

so would removing the torsion bolts be a bad idea? should i just save up and do it right and bag it? or is that not worth it....

I would not remove them all the way. Go 2.5".

yeah, just because the rims are 22" doesn't mean he'll have any more trouble than i do with 18s. its the tire size that matters, and everything seems to be in order for either a 2 or 3" drop. i'd go for a 2" though, just do to the ride quality issues (which the 22s will exacerbate) and they look damn low with just that much compared to stock.

Well you said in your original post that you are already rubbing, what exactly are you rubbing on? If you are rubbing on the fender now and you lower your truck more you are really asking for a tire to blow out.

i wanna see it! ;)

i heard in order not to rub you need to run 35 series on 22s....that may be the issue....but i dunno im new

Back