Lowering an Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering an Explorer

Hey Al?...I have a 91 Sport 4x2...I lowered it...I used lowering blocks under the axle in the back...and I cut a coil off the front springs...it turned out REALLY nice....but...my explorer has 155k+ on it..and it needs new shocks...so I went to Autozone and bought some Gabriel shocks...but it still rides like the stock ones..like ASS!..lol..so..I was reading your messeges on here to different people...and I read that you said Monroe "sensetrac" or "reflex" works the best for Lowerd X's because they make up the lost suspension travel cause there stiffer....so..reply back....thanx!:)..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lowering was easy and made alot of differance on my sport and if you have the wide factory flares normal rwd offset wheels fill the fenders great and added almost 4" to the track overall, making it sable. Don

Lowering Kit

Does anyone know of a lowering kit for a '91 XL 4X4? If so how much would it be and where could I get it.

A couple of years ago, Explorer Express advertised that their lowering kit for X's dropped them 1 3/4". Now they say the kits lower the truck 1 3/8". All I can find is 2" lowering blocks. Is there really going to be any significant difference (bad or good) if I lower mine 2" instead of 1 3/8"?

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
Install cost me appx. $25. (rear) & 125. (front) including an alignment.
Go for it.. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

What kind of "shop" does this install?

Thanks....

I went to an independent tire dealer who also sells shocks & does alignments. I like the independents as opposed to the "Goodyear" type franchise dealers. The independents seem to be more willing to do something out of the ordinary.

I have finally completed my Explorer Express kit on my X. It handles 10 times better and there is no body roll. I actually feel same takin it around corners over 15 now. The only thing is that potholes and what not can beat you up a little bit. I even have the Edelbrocke IAS shocks. But i love it anyways.

Any alignment shop could do the work. It's cake, though, if you have any mechanical inclination. I used the EE kit, even though it was a rape, because I couldn't find u-bolts to go around the rear axle anywhere else. I believe 3" diameter is standard, and ours are 3 1/4", or something like that.

The lowering kit with the Edelbrock shocks made a world of difference, and the sway bars, which I added later, were another quantum leap. Stock, the thing was like a rocking horse; it's way more solid now. The only downside is that the stiff suspension accentuates the flexi-flyer frame, so there are more squeaks. Well worth the tradeoff, though. Do it!

Pete

can someone post some good pics of their lowerd explorers im thinking of doing it but wanna see how it looks first

Back