Lowering Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering Kit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do a search for lowering. there is a wealth of information, but there is no kit to go that far. the rest of hte x xpress package would be compatable witha three inch drop.

I think the x-spec suspension has good quality things in it but one thing i dont understand is why they sell the entire kit for $779.60. If you were to buy everything in the kit separately it would cost $779.60. You would think there would be some kinda discount for buying the kit.

If I went to a shop and had them install the edelbrock shocks it would probably cost me the same or less than getting them from EE. I can buy lowering blocks from a local auto parts store. So really the only part of the X-Spec suspension that I wont have is the sway bar which I would buy from EE.

Question about the edelbrock shocks for lowered trucks. Can someone tell me what the difference between them and the regular edelbrock shocks are? Are they just shorter? I want to lower my explorer, but I want to do it right. Will putting on the special lowered shocks really make a big difference? If I got regular edelbrock shocks and lowered my truck would the shocks just stay compressed more all of the time or what? I dont really know much about shocks or suspensions. Thanks.

the reason the edelbrock shocks ride well and are expensive is that they have a system where the first little bit of the travel is softer than the rest of the shock. on a lowered explorer with the stock height shocks you would be effectively removing that feature of the shock, with the lowered ones you are able to utilize that feature because edelbrock makes them shorter (or something, i'm not exactly sure what they do to them) that is why it is important to get the lowered ones if you want ias technology.

they are also valved a little stiffer than the regular Edelbrocks to help compensate for the lower spring rate you will have when you drop an X.

mine dont ride so bad if i load it down and make it set on the spring snub'rs ... Other wise it feels as if it is bottoming out...

another question about edelbrocks

I can understand why you might want/need to put lowered edelbrock shocks on the front if you have a lowered truck, but I dont understand the need for them in the back. If you use blocks in the back the shocks are staying at the same height and only the axle is going up. That has me a little confused.

i think it it so your tires won't rub your wheel wells if you hit a good enough bumb, lowered shocks normally have less movement, am I right?

Originally posted by 98FordX24
If I went to a shop and had them install the edelbrock shocks it would probably cost me the same or less than getting them from EE. I can buy lowering blocks from a local auto parts store. So really the only part of the X-Spec suspension that I wont have is the sway bar which I would buy from EE.

What about the (1) bump stops and (2) the camber adjusters?

1) bump stops

you don't need expensive replacement bump stops. simply cut your stock ones(i cut about a third off of mine). i used a hose cutter and didn't even have to remove them to cut them. i've read posts before that claimed the ee bump stops don't really provide any real improvement anyway.

2)camber adjusters

when you get your alignment done, the shop should have them(they're just shims), and you won't have to pay an arm and a leg to get them. ee probably just includes them to justify the price of their so-called"lowering kit".

EE = EXCESSIVELY EXPENSIVE

very true!!! too bad they have some stuff you cant get anywhere else.

Back