Lug Nut ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lug Nut ?

I just had my truck in the shop, to get the tires balanced, and get an alignment.

They also replaced 3 or 4 studs on the driver’s side rear wheel, as one was stripped, and others broke when they came off. Now the lugs will not stay tight. I tighten them as hard as I can with a lug wrench, and they come lose. The wheel wobbles ect. I have a 3000-mile road trip to take in 2 weeks, and need to figure this out. Any ideas?

I took a look at that wheel, and it appears to be ok. The lug nuts have worn down the holes a little but nothing drastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say have them get you a new rotor/hub assembly cause they messed it up.

ya man, i would have them buy or replace ur disc/drums for ya. there the ones who broke them...hope u get it sorted out...laterz

adam

Its easy to say go back and have the shop fix it or replace it for free because it was their fault. If the shop is very reputable you might have a shot at it but most shops are a-holes. They would give you some crap excuse telling you it is not their fault or it was already half broken before they started on it. Or they would do it but later on charges you for some part to compensate for the work done.

Sometimes you have to take your losses and move on. Just make sure not to go back there and give them more business.

So, does this sound like a hub issue or a wheel issue?

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the Stud's connect to the axle shaft? Is it even possible to bend this?

I know for a fact the wheel is screwed, the holes are ovaled, and way worn. Tomorrow, I am going to switch the rear wheels around, and see if this helps. It the lugs stay tight, they I guess it's the wheel.

i'm guessing its a hub issue that has caused a wheel issue.

Stupid questiond # 4 for the day. How might one go changing the HUB? I am looking in my haynes manual right now, and don't even see a rear hub mentioned. It's been a very long day, i just spent 8 hours installing sound deading in the X. Now tomorrow i have to look at the rear!

Weird. My budies 96 eats driver/rear studs. Hes changed them about 3x. Very strange.

Back