M50D Trans Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M50D Trans Questions

GarSrtn

Reaction score
City, State
Elmira, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1991 Explorer with a 5-spd. The tranny's gears are not engaging (4th does, all others do not).

What are good sources for a used tranny?

Can I use a 5spd out of a 2wd, and switch the tail housing?

I saw a manual of the m50d on here somewhere, but can't find it now. Does someone have the link? (I'd like to pull the shifter to see if it's damaged before I pull the tranny.)

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These guys have the best deals on rebuilt M5's that I can find, not to mention a 1year warrenty.

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

And no, you cannot simply swap the tailshaft housings on the 2wd and 4wd trannys. The 4wd has a shorter output shaft. I also rebuild these.

Later Doug904.

I posted the manual in this thread

Thanks for the responses.

Is there a definative list of trannys that will replace the one in my Explorer? If so, where can I find it?

Is the shift linkage adjustable? 4th works normally. 2nd grinds like it's not quite engaged (similar to grinding when you try to force a gear, like the shifter isn't pushing the gear far enough). 1, 3, 5, R do not engage at all.

It's a 91 Explorer (push button) 4wd 4dr 4.0L v6.

Note: my only experience with manual trannys was the Chrys A-833 in the 340 Duster I had years ago.

Maybe the sychronizers are shot.
Will it shift without the truck running?

The shifter travels equally well throughout all gears. There is no difference if the engine is running or not. With the clutch fully depressed, the transmission shifts as it should. With the shifter in fourth and the clutch engaged, the vehicle will move. With the shifter in second and the clutch engaged, gears grind. First, third, fifth, and reverse make no noises (beyond the spinning of the input shaft).

Will a 5spd from a 1990 Ranger 2.9L v6 4wd fit?

Back