MAF Bulletin (GOOD INFO!) sorry about no charts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF Bulletin (GOOD INFO!) sorry about no charts

410Fortune said:
I have a P0174 code on the BII I have been chasing, damn I need a OBD-II scanner.

I can loan you a scanner.... and in a couple weeks, if all goes well, I should be able to reflash your PCM for you if you still have the same probem.

The scanner should fit in a priority mail $7.70 flat rate shipping box.

PM me if you are interested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are there any performance alternatives to running an oiled filter?

The only reason oil is used is to pick up finer particles in the air and keep your engine breathing the most filtered aired possible. Oil filters are also made to mess you your MAFS (if over oiled). No performance gains, just cleaned air. But if you go from a stock intake to a open/cone intake where its exposed...then yes, some performance gains. But a filter with oil will give you the same performance as a filter without.

-Drew

What is "PC/ED Service Manual"!?
I am chasing a P0171 code on my Ranger (2.3ltr). I have followed advice from this site to "Clean the MAF", "R&R the Intake Gaskets" and "Unplug the MAF" of which neither has solved the problem nor aided driveability and at this time driveability is zero.

I use Proscan to get codes and only show P0171 right now all though initial readings did show P0171, P0174 and a TPS Low Voltage code (I can't remember the characters). Bank one lean condition is reading a mere "-100.xx%", no that's not a typo either. ;)

What is "PC/ED Service Manual"!?

Powertrain Control / Emission Diagnosis Service Manual. It is part of the Ford Service Manual.

I posted part of the manual for P0171 in this thread My version is for 1997.

Most likely cause is a vacuum leak.

I am ready to fire bomb this POS! I have driven a total of 53 ####ing miles with this pos.
This has got to be the worst trouble shooting scenario I have ever come across.

I have sprayed the entire engine compartment with ether and the motor never hiccupped. It should have raced once a vacuum leak was capable of ingesting the ether.

If it isn't a vacuum leak, then I would start looking a fuel injector / fuel pressure issues. The code and fuel trim is telling you that you are running very lean.

Turns out to be a bad fuel pump! :confused:
Less than 23k miles and the fuel pump quits? Pathetic.
So now I got reamed for the tune of $532.65, mainly because the stealer (dealer) charged $200.00 more than the fuel pump costs at my price. :salute:
I am really surprised the OBDII system doesnt monitor voltage on system critical components, ya know, like airplanes do. :rolleyes:
Still this vehicle has me pissed off!

I am really surprised the OBDII system doesnt monitor voltage on system critical components, ya know, like airplanes do. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing your truck didn't cost as much as the cheapest airplane you could buy. :p::D

Plus, the consequences of a bad fuel pump are a little more serious in an airplane compared to an automobile. :D

Got a question,when I run my x w/AC on and eng warm,I get a musical note,low and annoying, I tried turning up the radio,checked air box for Rocky the Raccoon, and the air tube for that missing rag after the latest oil change. How common is this problem?

You should have started a new thread for this subject.
Anyhow try cleaning or replacing your IAC valve first. Replace the gasket.

Back