MAF, idle, drivability and overdrive related problem and solution | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF, idle, drivability and overdrive related problem and solution

kzwieg

Reaction score
City, State
Ashippun, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Just wanted to share some information on a problem that I just remedied on my '94 X 4x4. Maybe it will be of some help to someone...

I've had a persistent problem with the engine running/ idling rough, sluggish response and acceleration, and running fast/ not shifting into overdrive on the highway at times. I was getting CEL codes related to the EGR system, and also a code relating to injector pulse width (186). I did some checking and part replacement on the EGR line and valve (rusty), but the problem persisted. It was not until I glanced at trouble code glossary on this site (as opposed to the Hayne's Manual) that I found out that the 186 code and injector pulse width relates to the MAF sensor as well. I cleaned up the MAF sensor with some electrical contact cleaner. I noticed right away that there was quite a build-up on the MAF sensor thingy. Put everything back together, and problem solved! Great response to acceleration and smooth running in overdrive. Thank you to all of the helpful forums!

PS If you are like me and don't own a torx bit with a nifty little recess in the middle (required for removing MAF sensor), try carefully center punching and drilling out the small protrusion within the torx screw. It worked great for me

Back