MAF location *PIC*

south59

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0
Surging help please / MAF Pictures

I have a OHV 95 4x4 with 112,000 miles and its time to clean the MAF....hard starting, horrid gas mileage, smell of gas outside the truck.....(FPR is next) Could someone please point out the MAF Sensor to me, I've included a pic :)

CIMG0347.jpg

EDIT: I've cleaned the MAF but the car is stills surging between 2200-3000 RPM's. I also noticed that the cap on the Shrader valve is not present, could that be causing the problem?

I put the ignition into the ON positition, and removed the red vaccum line from the FPR, and there was no gas in the line, so im assuming that the FPR is still good.

Help, Suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol You didn't even get it in the pic. It's right behind your air box. Take a picture about a foot to the left and I'll show you where it is.

on my way =D

j602 said:
lol You didn't even get it in the pic. It's right behind your air box. Take a picture about a foot to the left and I'll show you where it is.

Doop!!! Nice clear pic though...

It should be at the end of the hose closest to the air box.

CIMG0348.jpg

can you briefly tell me how to get to the filaments themselves? I would appreciate it alot

There's a lot of good writeups on how to clean your MAS. Search for them, you'll find 'em. You'll need to take the MAS out then use carb cleaner or electric parts cleaner to clean the filaments.

The '95 is a kinda oddball, with the MAF inside the driver's side end of the airbox itself (I believe it is the only year like this). The MAF is located directly on the inside of the box where that plug is. Just undo the box clamp, pull up on the tube, and look inside, you will see the filaments.

Yours is totally different than mine at the air box, I've got the square box.

There is a thread:

What to use to clean MAS and IAC

That's the one I used...no pics though.

Edited out wrong info...

I cleaned the IAC and MAF- HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Here's a coupla pics, maybe that'll help...

Robb said:
The '95 is a kinda oddball, with the MAF inside the driver's side end of the airbox itself (I believe it is the only year like this). The MAF is located directly on the inside of the box where that plug is. Just undo the box clamp, pull up on the tube, and look inside, you will see the filaments.

Most if not all '96s and a few '97s are this way. Its a tricky process to get the MAF out but you can still clean it though the screen in the plastic housing.

Our old '96 did not have the cylinder style intake. Those sure are ugly. (Sorry to say, but they are)

That's the way my '96 looks (like south59's second picture). It's not easy to get to the MAF but can be done. I'm typing this from memory:

- Pop the band that holds the two airbox halves together.
- Remove the clamp that holds the "top" of the airbox to the rubber plenum.
- Disconnect the MAF wiring harness
- Slide the rubber grommet (around the wiring harness) as close to the end connector as possible.
- Pull the MAF (enclosed in a plastic shroud) from the "top" of the airbox as far as the wiring harness will allow.
This is where it gets fuzzy:
- Pop the cover off the shroud (I don't remember exactly how to do this) to gain access to the MAF.
- Remove vandal-proof screws to gain access to the elements.
OR (as IAmTodd mentioned, clean the elements thru the plastic mesh in the MAF shroud. You'll need a long cotton swab. Electronics stores should have these.)

Clean & Re-assemble.

Hope that helps - Dave.

EBI - You're right. Not only is it ugly, it's a pain to work on. I'm seriously considering a KKM kit.

Thanks for the info Dave, thats what I had to do yesterday to get to it, and It turns out that my mechanic had already replaced it about 2,000 miles ago.

I'm still having a surging, and overall lack of power problem though.

This is what I have done so far
-Cleaned MAF
-New K&N air filter
-Cleaned IAC
-Fuel injector treatment

What I have done so far has gotten rid of the gas smell, and helped with the idling thankfully, but the surging is still bothering me.

What do I need to do next in order to troubleshoot this farther??? This is what ive gathered from other posts.
FPR- Test with gauge @ Shrader valve ?
EGR - Not sure how to test
Plugs and Wires- inspect for arcing / replace if needed?
Fuel Filter-Not sure how to test

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I've cleaned the MAF but the car is stills surging between 2200-3000 RPM's. I also noticed that the cap on the Shrader valve is not present, could that be causing the problem?

I put the ignition into the ON positition, and removed the red vaccum line from the FPR, and there was no gas in the line, so im assuming that the FPR is still good.

Help, Suggestions?

I don't remember the MAF being that hard to get out. I had to dis-assemble mine to put the K&N FIPK on. It's now on the outside, just behinf the K&N ( I need to clean my K&N and I'll clean the MAF at the same time, but I'm waiting to see if I can get an intake tube from K&N to upgrade it to a Gen II FIPK). I'll try to get a pic when I get home.

Back